Aftershock

Waiting outside, I heard the tires screech in front of me.  Looking up from my spot on the curb, I saw Ashley shaking her light brown hair, the waves flowing down.  “Get in before I leave you!” she yelped, reaching over to jerk the passenger door open.

Scowling, I got in the door and shut it.  She slammed the gas, causing the car to hurl forward.  “Ouch!” I yelled, my head hurting and feeling the pain from being jerked around so abruptly.

“Sorry,” she muttered, looking around to see if she was safe to cross the intersection.

“No you’re not.  I’m getting over my hangover.  This sucks.”  I  never got hungover.  Because I never drank.  Well, I usually don’t.  Ashley, on the other hand, can drink shot after shot and the next day be as happy as a clam.  Life isn’t fair.

“Oohh sorry! You know how I am--driving wise.  You didn’t have to go with me.”

My eyebrows rose.  “Uh, yes.  You owe me that.”

Ashley had decided to keep her newly found-out secret from me.  That secret?  Who I had kissed at the party this weekend.  I’d harassed her all weekend, hoping my constant pleading and begging would break her tough exterior.  Obviously, it hadn’t worked.  My revenge was making her take me to school everyday until she confessed her secrets.  It also helped that Jarred had been sick today--his mom had called saying I’d have to fend for a ride myself today, before offering to take me.  I’d declined, knowing that going with Ashley would be better. 

Ashley shifted in her seat, glancing at me.  “Okay--” we were interrupted from a horn behind us.  “SHUT UP WILL YA?” She yelled to the guy behind us, speeding up and turning into the school parking lot.  

“Seems like karma isn’t with you today,” I teased, grabbing my bag and hopping out of the car.  I caught up with her at the front of the car, looping arms with her.  I’d discovered that to annoy Ashley, mocking is the way to go.

Her lip quivered, her disdain apparent.  Oh well, get used to it Ash!

We walked into the school, following the mass of our student body.  We broke off, heading towards the lower level, where my locker was.  And Ashley’s.  Technically, it was mine, but Ashley used mine instead of her own.  The crowd dispersed here, less traffic moving through.  I decided to attempt one last time at getting the information out of Ashley.  Over-dramatically, I fell to my knees in front of her, hands held in a prayer position.  “Ashley, please, please, please, tell me who it is.”  Fluttering my eyelids, I hoped she’d give in.

I saw her bite her lip, a sign she was considering it.  Her shell was cracking...if I could only get her to fully give in.  I repeated, “Please? It’ll be easy.  And quick!  Plus, I already kissed them, shouldn’t I get to know who it was?”

She finally gave in.  Yes!

“Okay.  It’s----It’s---” She kept pausing, shaking her head as if she was trying to remember her response.

“Ash, you do know who it was, don’t you?” 

“Yes!” she yelled back. “Why would you think I don’t?”

“Uhm, because you keep pausing as if you are thinking up a response,” I replied, quirking an eyebrow.

She rolled her eyes.  “Okay fine.  I’ll tell you.”

I waited.

And waited.

And waited...

“Uhm?” I asked, impatient.

“Shh!” she cried, throwing a hand over my mouth.

Surprised, I still tried talking.  My words were all jumbled up from her covering my mouth, though.  “Whaddareyooudoin?”

“Quiet,” she reprimanded.  She checked to see if I would talk again.  I made the motion of zipping my lips and throwing away the key.

She motioned for me to come closer.  She cupped her hands around my left ear.  Whispering, she said, “It’s Adam.”

“What?!” I shrieked, utterly shocked.

“SHHH!” she loudly repeated, but nodded her head.  Lowering her voice, she concluded, “Yes.  It’s Adam.  Adam Shaw.”

I was dumbfounded.  Adam Shaw?  The guy I’d had a crush on in all of Junior High?   I was shocked.  But that wasn’t the only thing...Why was I so shocked?  I thought I’d had no idea who it had been, but I felt like I was a little bit disappointed.  Relenting, I attempted to see the bright side.  Adam Shaw was cute.  Really cute.  And I had felt....something during our kiss.  Maybe this meant something.

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Positive.”

“Well...okay.”  I closed my locker door, and began walking up the back stairs, towards Spanish.  

“Wait! Where are you going?” Ashley called, following behind.

I stared at her incredulously.  “Uhm. Going to class?” I gestured towards the way Spanish class was.

Her face fell before turning into a smile.  “Oh, yeah right.  Wow...you took this better than I thought.”  She then took the lead, leaving me to follow behind her.

“What do you mean taking ‘this better than you thought’?” 

She tucked a stray strand behind her ear before shrugging.  “I don’t know.  I just thought you’d deny it all or something...who knows.”

“Oh.”

I felt confused.

Brian and I were over, I was sure of that.  Adam and I were....kissing at parties in the dark? I’m not sure.  And Jarred and I were...neighbors.

When did life become so confusing?

Contemplating how I should approach the Brian situation, I accidentally ran into someone, causing both of our books to follow all over the hall.  “Oh gosh! I’m so sorry,” I gushed, hunching down and grabbing all of the books.  

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a second set of hands.  They weren’t girls, I could tell they were stronger...manlier.  Startled, I glanced up for their owner.  Instantly, I found him.

And of course, with my luck, it would be him.

Brian chuckled nervously, while I just shoved his books back at him, before running off with Ashley to Spanish.

--------xxxxxxx-----------

Alright, so I know this chapter is SO short and basically filler.

But, I thought I should update.  I'm so sorry it's been so long...Prom and exams just kept me busy!

I hope you enjoy this, and I'm looking forward to introducing ya'll to Adam. ;)