Chapter 8

I wandered down the path to the ocean. Feeling the warms sand on my feet, slipping through my flip flops.

Once down at the beach, I looked up and down the beach, finding Robbie a few feet away at some shed.

"Hey," I said, coming up behind him.

"Hey cus. Whats up?"

It was slightly awkward talking to him, being that he didnt was a shirt on. Not that it was a bad thing, he did have nice abs. But he's my cousin so it's weird. 

"I was wondering if you would take me to the Ice Cream parlor, and then to the surf shop. I want to buy a longboard so that I won't have to ask you for the truck."

"Oh, yeah sure. But we have another car in the garage. It's my mom's, but it's not like she uses it. Do you wanna see it and then we'll go?"

"Yeah, that would be great."

"Ok, just this way."

We walked back up the path and around the house. Stopping outside the garage door. He leaned down and pulled open the garage door. Revealing an old, beat up, white punch buggy. This family definatly had a thing for old broken cars.

"I love it," I muttered, circling around the car, making sure nothing was missing.

"Yeah, so did mom, except she doesnt really get out anymore without me, so it just sits here. You might want to wash it, and clean out the inside, but it should run perfectly." He looked over at me and smiled. 

"It's prefect," I smiled back at him. "Now how about that ice cream?"

*****

We pulled into the parking lot of the ice cream parlor. People sat in their convertables, licking away at ice cream cones, looking out over the ocean. 

As we walked up to the entrance, Robbie stopped to shake hands with an elderly couple.

"Finally got yourself a girl eh Rob?"

"No Mr. Collins, this is my cousin, Summer."

"Hi," I shook his hand.

"My bad, it's just you don't see little Robbie here out with pretty girls." Mr. Collins sent a wink in my direction.

"Ha Ha very funny."

He patted Mr. Collins on the back and went inside, I followed after him. The airconditioning hit me like a brick wall. Considering I was only wearing spandex shorts and a t-shirt, it was quite cold.

The little parlor was covered in old posters of the Beatles, and of the band Journey. I think I even saw a Coldplay poster. 

I followed Robbie to the counter, where a girl who looked about my age, was handing a little boy an ice cream sunday. He happily took it from her hands and went to sit with his mother in one of the bright red booths.

"Hey Robbie," she waved at my cousin, before looking over at me. "Finally got yourself a girlfriend?"

"She's not my girlfriend," he replied, leaning against the counter. "She's my cousin."

"Oh, that's awkward." I could see a slight blush creep into her cheeks.

"I'm Megan," she extended her hand towards me. 

"Summer," I took her hand and shook it.

"If you dont mind me asking, how old are you?"

"17, my birthday is next month though."

"Hey! I'm 17 too!"

"Oh, cool!"

"We should totally hang out sometime, how long are you here for?"