015

[FIFTEEN]

* . °•★𝓢𝓪𝔂𝓵𝓸𝓻☆•° . * 

"Okay, guys. Let's have a seat." Katherine said, gesturing for all of us to sit down at the table. I was one of the last people to get into the room, so I ended up stuck next to Isaac. He flashed a mischievous grin in my direction and I glanced nervously back at him.

Whenever Isaac Garcia got that kind of look in his eyes it couldn't be good.

"I thought before we dive in, why don't we go around the table and share what we're thankful for this year?" Katherine suggested as she took her seat.  "Cole, let's start with you?" 

The blonde boy glanced up from his plate, caught off guard, before scratching his head and then saying, 

"Uh, I guess I'm grateful that the Broncos didn't actually wipe out this year." 

We all laughed as Katherine turned to Danny.

"I'm thankful for the long weekend and the chance to watch a bunch of movies." He said after a moment. Then, it was Alex's turn. 

"I'm just grateful that I didn't have to cook today, and you all should be too." We all laughed at this before looking at Nathan. 

"I am grateful that I had a chance to find out more about the native day of mourning." He said, smiling slightly. I felt a twinge of sympathy for him. I knew he liked Skylar thanks to Jackie, but we weren't sure if Skylar liked him back. Nathan had only really gone to the Thanksgiving speech at Skylar's dad's house because of him.

"I don't feel like it." Lee said annoyedly when people looked at him. Isaac gave him a look before smiling. 

"Well, I'm grateful, um, that the ladies love me for my charm and my good looks." Everyone at the table laughed and I rolled my eyes.

"In your dreams, Isaac." 

"You're just jealous, Saylor." He said, nudging me with his elbow before turning to his brother. "And we're both grateful to be a part of this family, right, Lee?"

" And we love having you in it." Katherine said quickly, smiling at him. Then, Erin, who Jackie had invited when they were out delivering food, spoke up.

"I'm just grateful to be here. Thanks for having me."  

"You're welcome." 

Then, it was Will's fiancée, Hayley's turn. "I'm grateful for so many things. I mean, you guys, of course, but mostly Will." She looked down at her plate and then stood. "I should go."

" Of course, sweetie. Let me just pack up some of this cranberry-almond stuffing, because it's Will's favorite." Katherine said, rising with her and walking off towards the kitchen. 

"But, Mom, we have to hear your turn." 

She turned around at the voice and thought for a moment. "Gosh, there's so much to be thankful for. Just go ahead and eat before it gets cold." 

"Bon appétit." 

*. °•★•°. *

As I sat, poking at my food, I was only half listening to the conversations going on around me. My mind kept straying back to the conversation Uncle Richard had had with Jackie and I right before dinner.

He wanted us to move back to New York with him. 

Jackie seemed unsure, but I knew what I wanted. I wanted to stay here. There was nothing for me back in New York except for more opportunities to fall back into the dangerous habits I had when we lived there. But I also couldn't leave Jackie behind, so if she felt like she wanted to move back to New York...

I didn't know what I would do.

"Yeah, but big cities are overrated. Jackie and Saylor are learning that now." Cole said, snapping me back to reality. Uncle Richard looked at me and my sister.

"Maybe we can go see Manhattanhenge next year. If you come visit." 

"Too bad they're not moving back." Lee said angrily, stabbing his food aggressively with his fork. Isaac gave him a look as Cole glared at him. 

"Jesus, Lee. Don't be a jackass." 

"Lee, I don't think it's the girls that you're mad at, right?" George said warningly, looking at his nephew. "They're not going anywhere. So let's—"

Don't say it, Jackie. Don't say it. Don't say it. 

"Actually... we might be." She said staring down at her food. Uncle Richard looked at her, staring at her plate, and at me, focusing very hard on the opposite wall, trying not to break my neutral expression. 

"En serio?" 

 "Te vas a mudar?" Isaac said from my side, his fork clattering against his plate. Shock was clear on his face as he searched my expression for an answer. 

"What's going on?" Katherine asked as Isaac said my name, trying to get me to look at him again. The adults started to argue as I focused on my food. 

"Saylor." 

I didn't respond.

"Saylor." 

I didn't look up.

"Dammit, Saylor, look at me, please." 

I sighed and turned to face him. "What."

"You'd really leave?" He said at last, a hurt expression on his face. "I thought you were happy here." 

"I am." I said exasperatedly. He leaned closer, lowering his voice so I was the only one who could hear it. 

"Then why are you leaving?" 

"It's not decided. I don't get why you care so much—"

"I don't." He hissed back at me and I raised an eyebrow. He threw up his hands. 

"Fine. Maybe I do. What does it matter to you anyway?"

"I—"

"What do you want?" Cole's voice rang out, snapping my attention away from Isaac towards him. The table was silent until Jackie glanced up. 

"The only thing I know for sure is... what I want is impossible to have."

That was when Katherine set her fork down.  "You know, Richard, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that family isn't always defined by blood. Did you know I was adopted? Just like Saylor?" I glanced up, looking at her. "My parents were wonderful, but I was always really curious about my biological parents. So after college, I went on a road trip to finally meet my birth mother, and guess who came with me? 

"Our mom." I said quietly. Katherine nodded.

"Angelica was with me, by my side in that car for hours while I processed all the hopes and fears that had built up. And when we finally got to Colorado, she waited in the motel while I went to the diner where my mother had agreed to meet. But she never showed. I was devastated. But there was this waiter, and he kept refilling my coffee, and I think he probably felt bad for me because he brought me this gigantic slice of pie..." 

"Okay," George interrupted. "I didn't feel bad for you. I just thought she was the hottest thing I'd ever seen. 

"That's how you two met?" Jackie asked, a smile appearing on her face.  

"Yeah. I went searching for blood family, but I found chosen family instead." 

We all fell silent and I looked at Katherine, emotions threatening to overwhelm me. 

"And I'm grateful every single day." 

*. °•★•°. *