Christmas Special Part 2 (edited)

Liam steps onto the field. He is in armour which fits tightly, the spear in his hand just the right length.
His face is covered by a helmet, chain mail on his arms and legs. His blonde hair is peeking out of the helmet.
His opponent is massive. Even though he is huge, you can tell he is a second-year by his stance and the way he holds his chosen weapon, a sword. Which, by the way, looks like a toothpick in the his hands.
"Begin!" Professor Devers calls out.
Liam charges forward, stabbing at his opponent. He dodges Liam's spear and swings with his sword.
Liam parries, holding the bulky second-year back with brute force.
The second-year shoves forward using all his body weight, slamming into Liam. Liam stumbles over, but before he can regain his balance the second-year swings again.
Liam barely manages to bring his spear up in time. The second-year releases his force. But he suddenly lunges forward, bringing his sword down on Liam's spear, snapping it in half.
Liam's eyes widen, staring at his broken spear in horror.
His opponent roars, charging like a raging bull.
Liam is defenceless. Why haven't they stopped the match?
Liam scrambles to his feet. If he tries to fistfight him, which I know he will, he's going to get killed. Because his 'opponent' would have stopped once he disarmed Liam.
The second-year brings his sword down at Liam's neck. He swerves, ducking under the second-year's arm.
The second-year spins around. He swings his sword. Liam ducks again, but the sword manages to cut his arm, drawing blood.
"Stop the duel!" I yell at Professor Devera, who is watching the duel intently.
Her eyes flicker to mine, but she doesn't say anything.
I spot General Melgren watching from a front spot. A wicked smile is curving on the corner of his lips.
It's him.
"Professor Devera stop the duel!" I scream, leaning over the fence.
She doesn't even blink, watching as Liam copes, clutching his arm.
No one does anything. The crowd is watching awe. The Generals are staring with blank faces.
No one is listening.
Liam's opponent shoves him back, and Liam's body crashes into the fence separating the crowd and the duel.
I can't just sit here and watch Liam get hurt. I can't.
My foot finds a place hold on the fence, using it as leverage to push my body upwards, and I climb over the fence.
I land with a thud on the grass, and I break into a sprint, running towards Liam.
His opponent is either deaf or doesn't acknowledge me running at them, because he doesn't turn to me.
My boots hurt on my feet, but I ignore it.
Liam spots me. "Ruth, get out!" He shouts.
His opponent turns around, but it's too late. I leap onto him with my axe, gripping onto his shoulders and tackling him to the ground.
I bring my axe down, but he catches the handle, pushing it back. He flies me over and raises his fist.
He punches me in the jaw, and my head snaps back.
Pain sears across my face.
I can hear the Professors and the crowd shouting in the distance.
I wriggle out of his grip. I feel him grip my ankle, dragging me back.
"Let me go!" I yell, using my feet to kick him in the face. He lets go quickly, and I sprawl across the grass, regaining my footing and rushing to kneel next to Liam's side.
The gash on his arm is worse than it looks. It's deep, and blood is gushing out of it non-stop.
"Ruth get out," he groans, wincing in pain.
"No."
The second-year sprints over, his sword raised at the both of us. My axe is discarded five feet away.
"Nithe? Lasair? A little help?" I shout towards them.
Nothing. I swear to God if they are in the mountains fucking-
"Are you trying to kill us? This is a duel!" I shout, shielding Liam as the second-year comes closer.
He just growls.
Stupid, Ruth. Of course he's trying to kill us.
The second-year raises his sword. There's nothing I can do. My axe is too far. Liam's spear is broken.
All I can do is shield Liam and hold up my palms in a desperate way to shield us as the sword comes down on us.

I feel the brush of air as the sword comes down on us. But it stops. Dead still. I look up. The second-year is frozen still. His eyes are flickering, and he's looking around with panic. But he doesn't move. Is he paralysed?
"Liam let's go!" I whisper shout. Liam's eyes open a little.
"What?" He says wearily.
"Let's go," I urge. I practically drag him across the field with me.
"All riders stay out of the field!" Professor Devera shouts, before she too leaps over the fence and runs towards us, as do other professors who follow her lead.
"Why didn't you help us? Why didn't you stop the duel?" I shout at her.
"I- I don't know... it's like I couldn't move, only watch," she says, staring at me directly in the eye. Somehow, I know she is telling me the truth.
Healers come running, who take Liam away.
Violet and Rhiannon come running.
"Ruth, did you make him stop?" Violet asks quietly.
"That wasn't me."
"I think it was," Rhiannon mutters.
"We'll talk about this stuff later," I snap.
"I'm going to find Liam," I mutter.
Is it bad that I find them annoying sometimes? They always seem to want to talk when I don't want to. It irritates me.
For some reason, I can't feel Lasair or Nithe.
"We're shielding from you. You'll learn how to do that soon," Nithe says, before seemingly diving back into a darkness where I can't reach my dragons.
Great.