Chapter 10

"No I'm not,"  I reply, confused. "I'm Lasair's rider."

"You are both of our riders. We choose you."

What the fuck. Since when do two dragons choose one rider?

"Since now. My name is Nithegandr, descencing from the Tarneduveris line, but call me Nithe.I am a blue scorpiontail."

She flicks her tail, showing off an excessively huge poisonous barb hanging from her spiked tail.

Two dragons.

"You have probably already guessed, me and Lasair are mates."

I nod. "Why did you choose me? Me of all people?"

"Because you are cunning. Quick-witted. Strong. Determined. Stubborn. Smart. Skilled. Courageous. Ever since the Empyrean mentioned the daughter of Codagh's rider who was entering the rider's quadrant, I knew you were mine. And Lasair here figured that he did not want to be left in the Vale, separated from me when you graduate."

"Which one of you do I ride out of here?" I ask in awe. Two. Fucking. Dragons.

"You might want to have a go at riding me. You've already ridden on Lasair, and I'm a tad bit bigger than him."

"Okay."

I jog up Nithe's dark blue wings. The little dip in her sapphire scales is big. I sit and grip her scales. In fact, her horns are so long that I could almost hold them.

She lifts off into the sky, Lasair behind her. 

Unlike Lasair, she doesn't loop to see if I can hold my seat.

"It's because I already know you will be able to."  Nithe says. "And you need to fix that wound. Your blood is on my scales."

She flies straight to the flight field, where the both land, Lasair on Nithe's right.

I slide off. That part is fun.

I head to the rollkeeper.

"Name of dragon and of rider?" The rider mumbles.

"Lasair and Nithegandr," I say, unsure. They might not believe me.

The rider arches their eyebrow. "Strange name for a human."

"Those are my dragons. I'm Ruth Melgren," I repeat. I watch her scribble out Nithe's name from the rider's list and replace it with mine, then rewrite Nithegandr on the dragon side, underneath Lasair.

"You have two dragons?" She asks. I nod.

"Not again..." She mumbles. ....Again?

I leave. 

I spot a sharp red tail and a flash of blonde hair. Smiling, I walk over to Liam.

"Liam!" I wave.

Suddenly, I collapse on the grass. By now, every single part of my body apart from my neck and head is coated in red.

"Ruth!" Liam yells, his footsteps thudding on the grass.

My throat and chest tighten, and each breath becomes harder and more shakey.

"You're losing too much blood," Liam murmurs, cradling my head. He picks me up from under my legs.

He practically sprints over to the healers.

My ears are ringing.

"She's bleeding, do something," Liam shouts. 

The healers bustle around me. They lift me on the count of three and put a stretcher under me. I don't hear the rest of their shouts. They tear open my shirt with a knife and cut through the binding on my chest that is already torn from Tynan's sword. They apply a salve that makes me flinch at the cold.