- tootsie rolls and tears -

Ratter glares back down at her, shaking his head before getting up and quickly walking off back to his truck.

Emilia whimpers softly, her whole entire body was in incredible pain.

Peterkin watches as they drive off, she shakes her head down at the injured girl.

—————————————————

Melia sat in the sheriff's van - who speaking of - was looking at her sympathetically.

A small tear rolls down Emilia's face, which she swipes away incredibly fast with a sniffle. She turns and looks out of the car window.

Peterkin takes a deep breath in.

"So, how'd it work out, kid?" She asks with a soft sigh.

Melia stays quiet, she's not going to cry properly, not here. She stares blankly out of the window, biting her tongue so she wouldn't touch her hands. She promised she wouldn't.

"It's a whole lot safer if you give it to me rather than anybody else, Melia." Peterkin admits, tilting her head.

She swallows harshly, feeling as her throat throbs. Tears were fighting to spill out of her eyes.

She shakes her head, biting her lip.

"You don't understand. Y-You don't know how much this means to me and John. It's not mine to- to just give away!" Melia says shakily, avoiding eye contact and squinting slightly.

"I know, kid. But he won't be mad." Peterkin says with a sigh, shaking her head.

"You need to do what's best for all of you - and what's best is you handing that compass over." She turns her body slightly, pushing out her hand.

Emilia slowly turns, looking at peterkin with a pained expression on her face. She scrunches her face slightly and she pulls out the compass from her pocket. She shakily hands it over.

"This thing probably saved your life." Peterkin says with a serious look.

Melia shakes her head with a choked out laugh.

Saved her life?! She's almost died multiple times in the past 48 hours due to that stupid thing!-

"Concentrated the shock." Peterkin explains. She turns her head back to normal, she looks out her windshield.

"You're lucky." She sighs.

Melia nods and hobbles out of the car, watching as Peterkin drives off. She stands, in shock at the past few events.

She'd lost her job, lost the compass. What next?!

She laughed emptily, letting a few stray tears fall from her eyes. She slowly turns and hobbles back in the direction of the Château, which luckily wasn't too far from where she was.

—————————————————

She walked back into the château, opening the door with a soft groan.