Before the storm 🌊

Warnings: Swearing, talking about losing their job, mentions of being homeless, mentions of being choked, mentions of being numb, alcoholism, domestic violence.
This one is a really angsty one and if you don't feel comfortable with that, feel free to skip it. English is not my first language and I apologize for every mistake.
Word count: 5k

1924

Third person P.O.V

"Mr. Y/l/n I would like to see you in my office," the serious looking man tells Michael who is sitting at his desk, writing various numbers down in a notebook. The numbers haven't been looking good for the company and everyone is wondering how long it will take for the company to shut down.

Michael stands up with a nod, muttering a "Yes Mr. Brian," and follows his boss into his small office. Michael's boss is a serious and cold man in his late fifties. He has been Michael's boss since he started to work here to earn money when Lilith was first time pregnant with Lucy. And ever since that, the couple has enough money to provide for both of their daughters and even including a summer holiday for the whole family.

"How can I help you sir?" Michael asks hesitantly, gulping the nervous lump in his throat down. Nothing can be good if the boss invites you to his office without saying another word. And there have been rumors around the office that someone is going to get fired. This only adds to his nervousness. He can't get fired. Not when he has a wife and two small children at home. Y/n is about to start school in two months.

"Please take a seat Mr. Y/l/n," he motions for the black leather chair in front of the desk. He slowly takes a seat, his leg bouncing up and down, nervously. Clasping his hands in front of him on the desk, Mr. Brian leans forward to look Michael in the eyes, "I won't sugarcoat it Michael. You're doing the numbers, you know how deep we're in debt." Nodding, Michael patiently waits for his boss to continue, "I want you to be the first to know because you're my most trusted worker at this company...we're shutting down. We can't find a way to overcome this obstacle," raising his hand to stop Michael from speaking, who has opened his mouth to say something, he adds "Trust me Michael, we can't. I've tried."

Instead, Michael closes his mouth again and nods. He was kind of expecting this. He's in charge of the numbers so he knows how low they were in the past months. But he won't lie, he had a tiny shimmer of hope inside of him that it would turn for the better eventually and that the numbers will be rising again. But unfortunately they didn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a heavy heart, he walks down the street to his home he shares with his beautiful wife and adorable children. From the distance, he can already hear his youngest daughter, y/n, laughing and squealing excitedly. That girl is truly a bundle of energy. He still remembers the times where she was just a baby and that it took hours to get her to sleep. Lucy was a bit easier in that part. Approaching the beautiful family home, he sees his wife watering the flowers in the garden. He loves this woman to death and she looks even prettier in the light of the setting sun. Her skin is glowing and her hair is styled like every other woman in town; short with finger waves. But in his eyes, she still wears it the best. He takes a moment to look at his children running around in the garden. Lucy chases her little sister through the whole garden and around the house. Lilith's gaze follows them until she spots her husband standing at the fence with his briefcase in one hand and a picked flower in the other. It's a thing he has done even before they were married. He would stop at a random field and just pick out the prettiest looking flower and give it to her when they met. Even after those years he still follows this tiny tradition.

"You're home early," she remarks in a warm tone and takes the red poppy flower from his hand and gives him a sweet kiss in exchange. Walking through the gate, he wraps an arm around her waist and pulls her closer to give her temple a kiss, letting his lips linger there for a while and whispering in her ear, "I've missed you." Lilith giggles and moves away from his embrace to keep watering the different herbs she planted last week. "I need to talk to you...," Michael says in a low voice and looks at his wife with sad eyes. "...Maybe after dinner." Lilith nods and sets the water can down on the grass and takes his hand in hers, noticing his shift in demeanor and that it must be very serious.