Timeless Love 🤎 (Prologue)

Warnings: mentions of death, alcoholism, war, domestic violence
English is not my first language and I apologize for every mistake
Word count: 2k

It's the year 1926, families in the world are slowly recovering from the war and getting used to the political changes in the world. One of those families are the y/l/n's. The y/l/n's consist of the couple, Michael and Lilith y/l/n and their two daughters Lucy and y/n y/l/n. In 1924, Michael's company was being shut down and he lost his job. Unable to deal with this situation, he started drinking instead. Lilith, trying to keep their family afloat, started working part-time in a baking factory, earning only $10 per hour but this and the money they still get from the government because Michael fought in the Great War is enough to pay the rent and to take care of two children.

Lucy and y/n are both 8 and 6 years old. The two of them are very close, even though they have two completely different personalities; Lucy is a bookworm and loves listening to the newest music records. She's shy and introverted. While Elena is outgoing, cheerful and extroverted, unlike her older sister.

Y/n has three best friends; Steve, Bucky, and Mary. They all live in the same neighborhood while y/n lives a short walk away. Mary is y/n's only girl friend, which upsets her father quite a lot since y/n is suppose to only have female friends. It's not "ladylike" as her father claims it to be. However, the independent girl y/n is, she doesn't care and continues to see her friends, even with the knowledge what will happen if she does.

Mary is like y/n; energetic, a bit of a rebel, and cheerful. She and y/n love to play pranks on the boys and watch their faces turn into one of shock, fear, or amusement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a hot summer day, mid August. The kids are outside with their mothers playing in the heat while the husbands are gone working. The laughter and squeals of the playing children in the courtyard echo through the air and fly inside the small rented apartment. That's where Steve Rogers lives with his mother Sarah Rogers. His father, Joseph Rogers had been a soldier and served in the first Battalion, 26th Infantry where he got attacked with mustard gas. He got help quickly but died on May 9th due to too much gas in his lungs. Only 2 months before Sarah gave birth to their son. Sarah, being a single mom to Steve, has to work double shifts at a garment factory to pay the bills.

As she stands in the kitchen and watches her son with her warm eyes, she notices the resemblance between him and her late husband. And if she's honest, it hurts her a little bit. The passing of Joseph has left a deep scar and nothing seems to fix that.

She watches Steve closely as he lays, despite the hot temperatures outside, on the couch, wrapped in a warm blanket and nuzzles his head in the soft fabric. Steve looks out of the window, his eyes showing sadness. How he would love to go out there and play with the neighbor kids. But sadly, the blonde little guy was stuck in the small apartment, sick. He gets sick a lot, that is not a surprise anymore. He has a very weak immune system and already has a long list of his diseases despite his young age. Such as asthma, scoliosis, heart arrhythmia and rheumatic fever. But nevertheless, he always wears an adorable grin on his lips.

Steve was only 7 years old but he is so much like his father already. His big heart, his laugh, the smile. Yes, he looks like his mother but he definitely got his character from Joseph. She can remember the day where they first met, like it was yesterday. It was a stormy night in Dublin, Sarah was waiting on a train in the pouring rain, when Joseph appeared with an umbrella. She was swept off her feet the moment she met his green eyes as he smiled down at her while he was protecting her from the rain. They continued to see each other until he proposed. They got married very quickly, yet it didn't feel rushed. It was true love. And Sarah misses her love every night when the words echo in her head the moment the doctor told her Joseph has died. She was 7 months pregnant with Steve and it was supposed to be the best time in her life, yet it was filled with so much grief and sadness.