Chapter 20

Twenty
Caden's POV

We all expect our parents to die, but we never imagine it to happen so soon. We expect it when we are getting old ourselves, settled in our personal and professional lives. It makes death easier to swallow and life more meaningful. What would be the point of living at all if you knew you'd die before you could spend time with your loved ones?

I wasn't done growing, and my mom wasn't going to be there to witness it.

A part of me knew that would be the case, but I was praying I was wrong. Her first battle with cancer had destroyed me completely, and when she beat it, I thought for a moment that it was all over. She was finally back and she was here to stay. I didn't even contemplate it recurring, and then when it did, I thought she'd beat it again. I refused to believe this was it and ignored all the signs that told me this time was different.

All I had ever been was wrong.

I was pulled from my thoughts when the lights of an ambulance flashed ahead of us. Somehow, Diem managed to turn a thirty-minute ride to the hospital into fifteen minutes. I'm sure there were multiple traffic violations and close calls, but I was too preoccupied to notice.

She pulled into a parking spot far from the front doors. We both jumped out of the car, and I sprinted toward the emergency doors. The bright lights of the hospital were a stark contrast from the darkness outside, and smells of antiseptic immediately swarmed my nostrils.

I blinked rapidly and looked around the room. Multiple bodies occupied the green chairs in the waiting room, some huddled together with their heads hanging low. There was no doubt that their lives were also changing tonight, permanently and probably in the worst possible way.

I spotted the receptionist's desk on the left and took quick strides toward the man sitting behind the computer. He was older, his glasses hanging low on his nose, and it took him several moments to look up and acknowledge me.

"I'm here to see Paula Livingston."

I could feel Diem step next to me, but she stayed quiet.

"Your relation?"

"I'm her son." I tapped my knuckles on the desk and rubbed my eyebrow with one hand as I waited for him to search her name in the system.

After nearly five minutes, he told me her room number and directed me to the elevator to reach the ninth floor. Apparently she wasn't in the emergency room, which made me feel more hopeful about her condition.

The elevator rang once it reached the floor, and I squeezed through it before the doors even fully opened. The hallway never seemed to end, but I could see a figure pacing outside of one of the rooms. He was still in his uniform which told me that he came here during or immediately after his shift. I was so damn late. His head snapped in our direction and he stepped toward us.

"Jesus, Cade. I've been calling."

I stopped moving, my heart slamming in my chest, and I forgot how to speak for a moment.

"Is she— am I—" I couldn't finish the sentence.

Jackson's eyes watered. "She's still here, but it's not looking good. Dad's on an express flight. He should be here in an hour." Jackson ran his hands over his face and cleared his throat in an attempt to swallow a sob.

Diem stepped forward and brought her hands to each one of his arms, pulling Jackson into a hug. She wrapped her arms around his torso, and Jackson rested his forehead against her shoulder.

I stepped away from the two of them, my gaze focusing on the metal door behind them, and I pushed it open. I had already lost so much time and couldn't spare another moment without her.