*Summer fling*

*Requests : Hey guys, I cam up with this myself while I listened to 1950-1960 lovesongs. So, I greatly apologize if I break your heart, because I know this story shattered mine lol. Enjoy!

-

Max sat in the passenger seat of her mother's car, a radiant smile gracing her face as she hummed and sang along to the tunes blaring from the radio. Her red hair danced in the wind, her happiness contagious as they cruised down the open road. "Having a good time, honey?" Max's mother glanced at her daughter, a knowing glint in her eyes.

Max's smile widened, her cheeks flushing slightly. "Yeah, Mom. It really is amazing out here!" she exclaimed, her excitement barely contained. Her mother chuckled softly, her gaze fixed on the road ahead. "Hmm... I'm not sure that's why. I've seen that smile before.

There's only one reason my daughter would be this happy on vacation without all her friends." Max's cheeks flushed a deeper shade of pink. "Mom!" she protested playfully, trying to mask her embarrassment. Her mother winked, a mischievous twinkle in her eye. "Oh, come on, Max, I'm old, not stupid. Who's the boy?"

Max's laughter filled the car as she shook her head, trying to evade her mom's playful interrogation. "Nobody, Mom! I'm just enjoying the break, that's all." But her mom knew better. And she'd been right. On the days she stayed at her Uncle's beach house, Max was in fact spending every minute she could with a local boy, known as Lucas Sinclair.

He was dreamy, smart, and kind, everything Max hoped for in the boys at home. The two shared ice cream and popsicles at dawn at the beach and they'd also stay up late, sneaking out so that they could spend the night by the pool together. "I can't believe I've met you," He'd say, his eyes filled with nothing but adoration.

In return, Max would blush, her cheeks nearly matching the color of her hair. They would take naps in hammocks and spend entire nights talking and telling each other their life stories. "It feels like I've known you forever," Max revealed, their conversation deepening under the moonlit sky. Lucas gazed at Max, his eyes reflecting the shimmering stars above.

"Me too. I never want to let you go," he murmured, a softness in his voice that Max had never heard from anyone else before. Their time together was filled with stolen moments and shared secrets, each passing day weaving their lives closer together. Whether they were chasing waves along the shoreline or simply relishing each other's company, every memory etched itself into the fabric of their brains.

"I've never felt this way before," Max admitted, her voice tinged with vulnerability as she traced patterns in the sand. Lucas's gaze softened, his hand reaching for her smaller one. "You opened up a part of me I didn't even know existed," he confessed, his heart laid bare beneath the expanse of the star-studded sky. They would sit, picturing a future together, even though they knew deep down, underneath all the denial, that it could never be.

"I should just stuff you in my suitcase and take you home with me." Max would say when the topic of her having to retreat home would come up. And Lucas would laugh, trying to ignore the countdown of days left till he lost her. They were always the best version of themself when they were with each other, buying matching accessories or souvenirs at the shops by the boardwalk.

On Max's last few days, Lucas had dragged her out of the ocean, the two of them happy as ever, "Let me show you something! You'll love it!" Lucas's voice carried a contagious enthusiasm as he led Max away from the ocean's edge. Her heart fluttered with a mix of excitement and sadness, the impending departure tainting the joy of the moment. "Where are we going?" Max asked, a smile playing on her lips.

"It's a surprise," Lucas grinned, a spark of mischief in his eyes as he guided her along the shore. They walked hand in hand, the warmth of the setting sun casting golden hues upon the sands, their footsteps marking the final moments of their carefree days together. Max tried to bury the looming reality of their departure, savoring the present and denying the imminent goodbye.

As they approached a secluded cove, Lucas stopped, turning to Max with a playful glint in his eyes. "Close your eyes," he instructed, a mischievous grin dancing on his lips. Max complied, a soft giggle escaping her lips as she obeyed his playful request. "I love surprises," Her heart raced with anticipation, the uncertainty of what lay ahead mingling with the joy of being in Lucas's company.

"Okay, open them," Lucas said, his voice filled with excitement. Max's eyes fluttered open, and before her lay a breathtaking sight—a beautiful arrangement of seashells forming a heart in the sand, surrounded by flickering candlelight.
"Oh, Lucas," Max gasped, her eyes widening in wonder and appreciation. Lucas beamed, a warmth spreading through him at her reaction.

"I wanted to give you something special, something nice to remember," he explained, his gaze soft and full of affection. And as the time to part they both dreaded drew near, Max and Lucas stood on the shore, the gentle lapping of the waves providing a poignant soundtrack to their farewell.

Tears welled in Max's eyes, her heart heavy with the impending departure. "I don't want to leave you," Max whispered, her voice quivering with emotion as she fought to contain her tears. Lucas pulled her into a tight embrace, his own eyes misting with unshed tears. "I know. I don't want you to go either," he admitted, his voice choked with emotion.

As they held each other, the weight of their goodbye sank deeper. With trembling hands, Lucas cupped Max's face, searching her eyes as if to capture every detail, every emotion in that moment. "Listen, Max," Lucas began, his voice trembling with a mix of sadness and love.

"Someday you're going to find someone who truly loves you for who you are, someone you'd give up everything for, and... I'll just be that guy you had a fling with that one summer." Max's heart ached at his words, her tears flowing freely now. She shook her head, unable to voice her emotions, the reality of parting searing through her.

"N-No Lucas, you're so much more than that to me," she managed to say between sobs, her voice laden with the depth of her feelings. "I'll never forget you, Lucas." Later that evening, on the long drive home with her mother, Max had sadly proven her right.

As the car rolled along the winding road, the atmosphere inside was heavy with an unspoken sorrow. Max sat beside her mother, her gaze fixed on the passing landscape, her thoughts consumed by the memories of her summer with Lucas. Her mother glanced at her, concern etched on her face.

"You okay, honey?" She asked softly, her eyes reflecting the worry for her daughter. Max managed a faint smile, though her puffy eyes betrayed her. "Yeah, I'll be fine," she replied, her voice tinged with melancholy. Her mother reached out, placing a comforting hand on Max's shoulder. "It's okay to feel sad. You had a wonderful summer, didn't you?"

Max nodded, her voice barely above a whisper. "Yeah, it was amazing. But... now it's over." The car drifted into a heavy silence, broken only by the soft hum of the engine and the faint rustle of leaves outside. Max's mother offered her a sympathetic glance before speaking again, "You'll always have those memories, Max."

Max forced a weak smile, a tear sliding down her cheek. "I know, Mom. It's just hard to say goodbye." Her mother gently squeezed her hand. "Sometimes goodbyes are the hardest part, baby," As the miles passed by, Max leaned against the window, lost in her thoughts, the fleeting moments with Lucas playing like a film in her mind.

The drive home felt longer than usual, every passing moment a reminder of the summer love that had touched her heart so deeply. Despite her mother's comforting words, Max's heart couldn't shake the ache of parting, the bittersweet memories of a love that had left a mark on her soul.

-