The Austere Academy [8]

"Quagmires!" The librarian said as she began to lock the doors. "What can I do for you, triplets?"

"We know it's after hours, but did you find that book?"

"I'm sorry. I know you're desperate to get it,"

"It's not just the book. There's a whole mystery,"

"There certainly is. I couldn't find the book, so I poked around. It's not in any system. It's like it doesn't exist,"

"Who dares not be in the auditorium for my recital?" The Vice Principal demanded.

"The children had a question about the library,"

"The library is closed until further notice by order of the gym teacher,"

"He can't close the library,"

"I should have looked over his contract more closely. Or at all. He's also designated the freezer as off-limits, so there go all my Popsicles. It's only temporary, though, until he gets his Special Orphans Running Exercises and what he wants, something, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Now get moving, twins,"

"We're not twins," Isadora argued.

"Our brother Quigley..."

"Our brother Quigley died in a fire." The Vice Principal mocked, "I know. Try to work up some pleasant small talk for a change,"

***

Olaf blew his whistle as the Baudelaires continued to run in a circle. "Keep running, orphans. Run for your lives,"

"What are we doing?" Violet asked Klaus.

"Uh, running in circles," Klaus replied.

"How does that help Olaf steal our fortune?"

"I don't know,"

"Something else has to happen. There's no way he'll make us run laps all night," Violet panted tiredly.

Hookman brought Olaf a coffee. "I brought you a quintuple macchiato so you can make them run all night. Do you want me to keep you company? I know I get lonely sometimes,"

"Why don't you check out the concert?" Olaf suggested.

"Oh. Okay," Hookman got up and left the stands.

***

"That's what I'm saying. Olaf is here. My disguise was discovered. But I was able to get the girl out," Larry said into the phone as Jacques Snicket drove the cab.

Fia glanced back in confusion as she held a cup of hot chocolate.

"The library is closed, and there's a girl who keeps tap dancing. They've made friends. There's a stunningly skillful librarian who's keeping an eye on them. You should see her shelve books..."

Jacques reached over and grabbed the phone. "I need to get Larry into the city to be treated for frostbite and overexposure to off-brand dishwashing liquid. I'll leave the meter running and be back at Prufrock soon,"

That night was indeed a dark day. All nights are dark days because the night is a bad-lit version of the day. But a dark day also refers to a time when something terrible occurs. It was a dark day for Count Olaf's troupe, who were not good enough actors to pretend to be awake. It was a dark day in music history, as Vice Principal Nero, who could not play the violin, insisted on doing so for several hours anyway. It was a dark day for the Quagmires, who hoped to help the Baudelaires however they could. It was a dark day for the faculty, including Mr. Remora, who was developing a sore on his lip, and Mrs. Bass, who would be arrested shortly for bank robbery, not to mention the school librarian, whose own fate...would be even worse.

But, of course, the night was the darkest day for the Baudelaires, as they ran lap after lap after lap... night after night after night...knowing nothing of Count Olaf's plan. Nothing of how they could defeat his treachery. Nothing but their desperate exhaustion, acute boredom, and the terrifying knowledge that was always approaching was another dark day, a phrase that here means more time at school.