Chapter Three: Brooke

I tried not to stare at him as he signed autographs but I couldn't help myself. He was real and he was right here, in the same room as me. I had to pinch myself to prove I wasn't dreaming; he had been sitting right there next to me, talking to me, laughing and smiling at things I said. He seemed so sincere, as though he were truly enjoying my company. Reality was, I think he just wanted to sit down and I had the only open seats in the house.

Maybe he felt sorry for me? He did say I was cute, though. No, he said I was more than cute. Yet, he walked away and chances were, he wouldn't be coming back. He'd probably find another 'more than cute' girl to talk to, one that would be an obvious sure thing. Which, I wasn't. Everything about me screamed 'closed for business'. My friends all told me I came across as cold and aloof to guys but no matter what I did, I couldn't change who I was.

Jill got a text letting us know about a party where some guy from school she had the hots for was going to be. Suddenly, hanging with Down Rulers didn't hold the same allure for her and she started getting antsy to leave, "I hate to be the one to break it to you but he's not going to come back, Brooke. So, let's go. It'll be fun. Charlie has cute friends, ones that don't live on a tour bus and screw a different chick in every city."

I let out a sigh, "Can we wait fifteen more minutes? Please? If he's not back, we can leave." I really had no desire to be anywhere but right here. I mean, what if? I just didn't want to lose my chance and this was the closest I'd ever been to it..to him and it would probably never happen again in my lifetime.

Sending a text, Jill looked around at Melanie and Alicia, who all nodded, "Okay, fifteen minutes. But doll, he's done with you. Just look, he's already moved on." She nudged her thumb in the direction he was standing.

I did look and I did see. He was flirting with a Barbie looking blonde in extremely body conscious clothing. She was more of the rocker type than I'd ever be in my, conservative by comparison, maxi dress and espadrille sandals, "Fifteen minutes. And we're out of here."

The girls busied themselves with texting while I pretended not to watch Jesse's every move. Finally, the promised fifteen had passed and Jill grabbed my arm, "Sorry honey." She dragged me out of my seat.

Shifting my weight to make it difficult for her, "One minute, let me just do something really quick." I found a pen in my purse and scribbled a note and phone number onto a cocktail napkin. Maybe he'd find it, maybe he wouldn't but again with the what if's.

As we squeezed our way through the bar, I silently prayed he'd see me leaving and run to catch me. It was a silly thought, I realized, but I put it out into the atmosphere as a tiny prayer. Of course, by the time we reached Jill's car, I knew it had gone unanswered. I shouldn't have been surprised, my wishes never seemed to come true.

The girls were busy chattering humorously amongst themselves but I sat the whole drive in pensive silence. I sort of wanted to go home, I wasn't feeling much like going to a place where I really didn't know anyone. To top it off, I was a bit nervous about starting my internship, it was with one of the biggest digital marketing agencies in the country and, if I did a great job for them for the one year trial, they'd probably hire me on as a full-timer. Then I could permanently move out of my parents house, a dream I've had for years.

The party was in full swing when we arrived. The three of them walked quickly to the door, leaving me to mope slowly behind. They knew parties weren't my scene yet somehow I always allowed them to force me outside my element. Begrudgingly, I walked through the door shortly after they did. When I located them, they each had red Solo cups in their hands. Jill was holding two and held one out to me.