Chapter 10

Joy honestly didn't understand how she found herself where she is now, in a restaurant with one of the most feared mob bosses who happened to still be her husband, legally anyway. The soft and beautiful tunes of a violin played in the background. Vito sat across from her, enjoying the scenery while occasionally peeking over at her. Joy would be lying if she didn't say she wasn't on edge a little, her nerves were to the roof. She occasionally peeped over her shoulder with her arms wrapped around herself. 

"Are you cold?" Vito asks. Joy shakes her head in response, "No, I'm fine."

 Vito's eyes narrowed on her before taking in their surroundings. He and Joy were seated far away from other guests. Several of his men were seated near them, but not so close that it felt like it was smothering them. "Nobody's watching us," Vito assured as he leaned in. "Aside from your men," Joy tries to joke but Vito doesn't laugh. She swallowed and turned away from his hard gaze. His eyes softened slightly before leaning back into his seat. His eyes traveled to a rose that sat in the middle of their table then a simple tiny smile appeared on his lips.

 "Do you remember the first time we went out of the states? We visited many different places but yet you loved Bulgaria the most." Vito says, his fingers gently and ever so lightly tracing over the rose's petals. 

"There was a festival and I swear, I've never seen your eyes lit up more than when we were there. The way you enjoyed the beauty of the festival and the way you loved and adored the roses." A tiny grin appeared on her lips. "I fell more in love with you," Vito confesses, his eyes still focused on the rose in front of him.

 "Even now?"

 Vito's eyes cut to her, "Even now."

 Joy sat straight up in her seat, her hands resting in her lap. She too became engrossed with the rose. So many memories; good ones, adoring ones were attached to roses. Joy wanted desperately to forget the memories when she left, wanted desperately to keep those memories locked away in a box deep within her mind that would soon fade away out of mind but yet here she sat, with a reminder sitting in front of her. The sweet smell of passion filled her mind as she continued to gaze at the rose. Vito grinned, licking his lips, "I believe I can tell what has taken over that beautiful mind of yours. Is it our time spent at the festival or," his voice became deeper and huskier, "has something else captured your mind?" Joy opened her mouth to speak but the words were caught in her mouth, turning her face to elsewhere.

 "I believe it has," Vito teases, chuckling. 

Joy grumbled something under her breath. Vito brought his wine glass to his lips, drinking down some of the beverage before placing down the glass in front of him. Vito's attention landed on a necklace that was wrapped around Joy's neck. "You're wearing the same necklace that I gave you on our first anniversary," Vito says, smiling. 

"Hm?" 

Joy peers down at the necklace for a split second, "Oh yeah. It matches the dress well so I decided to wear it." A sheepish smile appeared on her lips. "Still beautiful as the day you first wore it." 

The couple's food was soon delivered to them and placed down in front of them. A gentle and comforting silence fell between them as they began to eat. Vito's eyes met Aiden's eyes. Aiden offered him a subtle nod to which Vito slightly curled his lips. It was a few moments later, the meal was finished and the bill was paid. 

Vito stood from his seat and offered Joy his hand, "If you would do me the pleasure of accompanying me in the garden?" 

Joy chuckled to herself, "Since when did you become proper?" Vito rolled his eyes and playfully shrugged as he helped her onto her feet, "Maybe I've always been like this? Has that crossed your mind before?" "Being smart now, are we?" Joy chuckles again. Vito, yet again, rolled his eyes as a tiny smirk appeared on his lips. The garden was beautifully lit up with a romantic aura surrounding those who decided to walk the path. The sound of water calmly splashing filled the air. Joy and Vito walked side by side, their arms interlocked with one another. Joy took in the alluring scenery around them, awe filled her eyes. 

Vito had taken notice of her more relaxed state compared to earlier. He knew that they would be safe walking the path. Aiden was watching them from the balcony and maybe a few men were trailing them but they kept out of sight and kept their distance from them. The once truly committed couple came across a bench with a flower arch standing over it. They sat down on the bench and looked out into the pond, watching the water rising and falling creating a soft melody of its own. 

"You know, I didn't expect to enjoy myself but I did," Joy admits. 

Vito's eyebrow quirked in surprise, "Oh?" 

Joy nods in response, "Guess I'm not used to being back in places like these? Fancy restaurants sat far away from people then coming outside into the garden and just enjoy the picture ahead of me. I guess what I'm trying to say is," Joy sighs, "that I'm just trying to get back used to you, used to us being around each other and slipping back into the life that we once had together."

 Vito nods as he turns face to look back out to the pond in front of them. His blue eyes darkened as he traveled deep into his thoughts before they brightened up with light. He was now gazing at her. 

We can't dwell on what happened in the past, we can only focus on now."

 He fell silent for a second before asking her a question, "Can I....can I be honest with you?" "Always." Vito took a deep breath. His heart was racing as he reached for her hand. "I can't promise you that everyday will be sunshine but if you will give me the chance, I'll try harder for not only Milana but for us. I don't want to go backwards with you, I want to go forward," Vito licks his lips, "I want to try for us, I want that bond that we once shared but only if you will allow me to be there."

 Joy was at a loss for words. 

This wasn't the same man that had taken her, her lover, and her daughter against her will. This man wasn't the cold and dangerous mobster that everyone feared nor was this the man who was a monster; This man was the man that she had given her heart to a long time ago. It wasn't Vittorio, it was just Vito. The gentle and caring man that cared for his family and friends, that gave back to the people, that used to hold her on the balcony of their shared home at night and just sing a gentle song to her. 

Joy met his gaze and nodded slowly.

 "Okay, let's try." 

Joy watched as a smile appeared on his lips. With her permission, Vito kissed her knuckles. "Grazie!" Joy only nodded as she scooted closer to the man, arms touching. Their eyes traveled back to the pond, allowing the aura to take control. Joy rested her head on his shoulder. Instinctively, Vito wrapped an arm around her shoulders, bringing her closer to warm body. A chance was all he had ever hoped for.