Two

It was dark now, and marley had lost track of time when she was out with Saturn.

She returned to the Walter house and walked through to the kitchen to find her dad and George sat at the table.

"Hello, father." The girl said sweetly as she wrapped both arms around his neck, pulling him into a tight squeeze. "Hello, sunshine." He replied back to her.

The three talked a little before cole came walking in, barely taking in his surroundings and heading straight for the fridge. "Uh, cole, did you tell Marley what you got on your English test?" George said awkwardly.

Of course the parents knew about cole and marley. They talked about it pretty much once a week. But it wasn't their place to try and mend their friendship. They weren't kids anymore.

"Uh, I got a c plus." He said awkwardly, leaning himself up against the refrigerator. Marley sent him a tight lipped smile.

Andrew laughed at a memory that came into his head. "Marls, do you remember when you made him sit in his room with you for six hours studying for his English tes—"

"Yeah, I remember." Marley interrupted her father.

Cole took in her appearance. She wore small white shorts and a light blue top, which complimented the tan she got from the heatwave that hit Colorado. She had brought the two front strands of her wavy blonde hair to the back of her head and secured it with a clip. He had always loved when she wore her hair like that.

"Uh, George, i oughta show you that weird thing going on with my truck." The man signalled, in attempt to get the two teenagers alone so they could talk.

Cole quickly interjected. "I could look at it for you... I mean, I am a mechanic." He chuckled softly, but Andrew quickly shook his head. Too quickly.

Marley knew what they were doing.

The two men quickly dispersed from the kitchen and headed outside. An awkward silence hung in the room. Cole wanted to leave, but something was stopping him.

He looked over at marley who was staring down at her nails.

"Why are you lying?" She asked softly. He scrunched his eyebrows at her. "About your score. You didn't get a c plus." She continued.

Coles shoulders slumped as he took a seat across from her. If the two teens were to look out the kitchen window at that moment, they would see both their fathers pointing and whispering to each other at the sight of their kids actually talking.

"How do you know?" Cole questioned her.

"The guidance counsellor told me. She still thinks we're friends." Marley said, not looking up from her nails.

"I-uh—" cole began to mutter, but the screech of marleys wooden chair against the floor interrupted him. "Uhm, okay." He said arrogantly.

Marley turned around to face him with a scowl on her face. "One minute your not talking to me and the next minute your lying. Sort your shit out."

Cole knew his temper had gotten worse over the past year. "Oh, I'm the one not talking to you?" He laughed, letting the sarcasm roll off his tongue.

"Yes! You—" marley began, but Jackie's presence in the kitchen made her stop. The black haired girl widened her eyes, quickly noticing a fight happening.

"Sup, New York." Cole spoke, but his eyes remained on marley.

Jackie looked between them awkwardly, "oh, I'm just getting a glass of water." She said quietly.

Cole still didn't turn his attention to the girl, his eyes remained on marley. "Don't worry about it. I can bring it up to your room for you." He said smugly, a smirk making its way onto his face.

Marley didn't know who this person was, but it wasn't cole Walter.

"I'm out." The blonde girl said quickly before leaving the house and walking towards her fathers car.

"Ah, shit." George said quietly to his best friend beside him. "Well, we tried." Andrew said in defeat.

"I wanna go home." Marley said sternly before getting into the passenger said and slamming the car door shut.

Andrew bid goodbye to his friend before getting into the car. He looked at his daughter and saw an angry expression on her face, "you all good?" He asked her, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"I hate him, dad." She whispered, clenching her jaw. Andrew didn't know what to say, so he stayed silent.

Marley wondered why cole had gotten this sudden personality change. She figured it was because Jackie was new to the house, which meant she was fresh meat for cole.

But that wasn't the case at all. Cole wasn't interested in Jackie, not by a long shot. He just wanted his best friend back, but he knew he couldn't. He had no explanation for what he put her through the past year. So cole Walter began to do what he does best. He deflected.

Jackie had disappeared back to her room by the time george returned to the kitchen, finding a lonely cole Walter sat at the kitchen table, staring down at his hands.

"You all good?" He asked his son. Cole didn't spare him a glance. "She hates me, dad."

——

This is just a lil filler as I'm too tired to write an actual chapter

Ty for all the love ❤️❤️❤️
Don't forget to vote !!!