Part II: The Capitol's Princess

Rosella Snow did not leave her bed for some time following the games and her brother's departure. Coriolanus had left for District 12 as a peacekeeper over a week ago. Given the punishment and unfortunate situation, Rosella had forgiven him before he left. Still, she had never felt so conflicted. She knew right from wrong. There was no gray area in regards to the Hunger Games. Nothing could justify it. These were innocent children, and they were receiving worse treatment than criminals.

But, after the performance of Lucy Gray Baird and the 10th Annual Hunger Games, she could see why some people were drawn to it. The excitement and spectacle of it all. She worried for the children who would grow up as the Capitol pushed these narratives more and more. How they might be brainwashed. How was it their fault when they never knew anything better?

How do I know better? Rosella asked herself. There were so many students witnessing this, watching it unfold and never uttering a word. Maybe I'm the problem. Why am I the only one who cares? She thought about what would happen if she stopped caring. She wouldn't be controversial, she wouldn't be constantly getting in trouble with Dean Highbottom and Dr. Gaul. She would probably have more friends. People wouldn't whisper about her. No. She stopped her train of thought. I can't think like this. I'm not going to follow everyone else when I know this is wrong. I am not my father. She thought more. She would be a pawn, a figurehead, if she simply went along with it. Yes, people would like her more, because they could assign her whatever role they felt befitting. She would have no voice, no freedom. Just another pretty face with the privilege of the capitol.

She assured herself she would never agree with the games. Still, the question of what made her so different stood. More self certainty? More courage? She had certainly become more bold within the past year. Her fourteen year old self would likely faint at the thought of cursing out Dean Highbottom or shooting fire from a can of hairspray at Dr. Gaul. Her friends from the band agreed with her. Then again, they often did. Despite being the youngest and only girl, she was more of a leader than any of the others combined. They respected her, not just as a singer, but as a person and friend, equal to them in every way, regardless of age and sex. If she had decided she was all for The Hunger Games, would they go along with that too? No. Of course not. They were good people. They had proven it to her over and over. She thought about Avi giving up his favorite guitar for Lucy Gray. Mitch sneaking into the zoo and giving Lucy Gray, and even some of the other tributes, medical aid. Scott risking his family name and reputation to publish her intensely felt article just to make a point. They wouldn't go that far just because she'd asked. Of course they agreed.

She remembered her talk with Clemensia. "Well, the whole thing is just absurd," she had said. Lysistrata certainly didn't seem to agree with anything either. She had even offered to help. And no one was more passionate about stopping the games than Sejanus Plinth. If only he were still here. A letter from Coriolanus confirmed her suspicions that he had left to join him as a peacekeeper. After the stunt in the arena, he probably was punished too. At least Coriolanus would have a friend. Sejanus Plinth was a good person, and she could not hope for another friend for her brother. Perhaps he would rub off on him.

She thought about the punishments they had received. Coriolanus' made sense, cheating in the games was extreme. But Sejanus received such harsh reprimanding just for going in the arena? Surely her article was on the same level as that. Not to mention the fire blowing at Dr. Gaul. Why had they let her get away with it? Did Dean Highbottom get involved? He seemed to agree with the article more than anyone. Really, it wasn't so different from what he had said in the opening interviews. And when she had confronted Dr. Gaul after Lucy Gray's victory, she had just laughed. Was it because she was deranged? "You certainly have a talent for spectacle", she had said. What did that mean? Did she have something planned for her? She couldn't help but wish for Coriolanus's return. He would never let Dr. Gaul do anything to her. But he was out of the way and she was at her mercy. Then again, the head gamemaker in the Hunger Games technically held no authority over a Capitol Academy student. She was fifteen years old afterall, and still had the protection of not only her family name and legacy, but her allies as well. What really could she do?

She had taken up sewing for Tigris. She was glad to be of aid, and even more glad for its mind numbing ways. Things were falling apart around her. Tigris intended to sell the apartment soon, the Grandma'am was losing her mind, asking when Coriolanus would be home and if they should wait for him before starting dinner. Rumors surrounded his departure, and why he had done it. Had he fallen in love with Lucy Gray? Gotten so drunk celebrating he signed up on a whim? A fallout with Dean Highbottom? Had she not known exactly why he was really there, her guess would be as good as theirs.

Tigris spoke to Pluribus, and he assured them that they could stay in some of the spare rooms above the club if worse came to worse. He said Tigris could help with costumes, and Rosella could sing with the band. She had no intentions of doing so. Not because she felt she was above it, as the Grandma'am repeatedly insisted, but because she felt no desire to be in the spotlight or give any sort of performance in the near future. She would if she had to of course, if it meant keeping the family from starving. But she would be starting her position at the Symphony in September, teaching children, which would make more money than any club performance. Plus, she wasn't sure she would even stay with Pluribus. Her friends certainly knew of her situation by now, and any one of them would be more than happy to take her in. Avi would be a good choice, she could say she was taken in as his mother's student after Coriolanus's departure. He often joked that she was his parents' favorite child and his house was always full of happiness. The kind of place where you could be anyone in the world, and there would be a place for you there.

Author's Note: I've decided to break the story into parts like in the book! Excited to follow Rosella's story (and her independence) while Coryo is off losing his mind in District 12 lol. Thank you all for the support and I hope you enjoy the next phase of the story!