Chapter 16

Samantha felt Hooper lifting her out of the water. She could hear Martin calling an ambulance in a panicked voice.

"Stay awake." Hoopers blurry face whispered to her. "Keep your eyes open."

She woke up in a hospital bed a few days later. Her room was filled with flowers and her well soon cards. She saw a few stuffed animals in the corner. They had to be from Micheal and Sean.

However the most important item in the room, was the sleeping Hooper that sat beside her.

"Wake up sleeping beauty." She croaked.

He flinched at her voice, waking up instantly. "You're awake." He breathed.

"So are you." She smiled. But her smile dropped. "You'll have to leave soon won't you."

Hooper started to smile now. "I'm not going anywhere until you're better. And you're coming with me. I may or may not have talked to my boss... we have a pretty awesome Whale Shark research lab."

She laughed, closing her eyes. "Why'd you do all that?" She asked.

"Like you said... I can't lose you again."

5 months later

Samantha hugged her brother, pulling away to mess up his hair. "Don't do anything stupid while we're gone. Mhk?"

He laughed. "I'll try not to." He kissed her cheek. "I love you. Take care of that... missing arm?" He said unsure of what to call it.

She and Hooper laughed, intertwining their hands. "I'll do my best."

With one final goodbye, the couple boarded the ship. Hooper led her to their shared sleeping quarters. "What do you think?" He asked.

"The walls are thin." She said, rapping on the wall with her knuckles. "We'll have to be quiet."

Hooper shook his head, chuckling. "I love you."

"I love you too." She grinned, pulling him in for a kiss. "Now we've got lots of unpacking to do."

"Yeah, we better get settled in. Twelve months at sea is a long time." He nodded.

She smiled, unzipping her bag and pulling out a worn and dirtied hat. She placed it on her head. It was the one she had forgotten to return to Quint.

"Alright Matt..." She smiled. "Show me my new research lab."

He smiled back at her. "The guys are gonna love you."

"Why?" She asked.

"They've never worked with a one armed Marine Biologist." He laughed and Samantha hit his arm.

"Be glad I don't have two arms to strangle you with."