Chapter 11

Samantha watched as Quint tried to teach Martin how to tie a simple knot. Her brother was definitely struggling.

Samantha watched as the line on Quints fishing rod started to move. She could hear the small clicks.

He looked at her, raising an eyebrow a look that said 'Shark?'

She tilted her head, raising her eyebrows to say 'maybe, I don't know.'

Quint started to hook himself in, nonetheless. He and Samantha did this on most of their fishing trips. Communicating without actually speaking. It freaks Martin out.

She began to pull her gloves on, knowing sooner or later she would have to help him.

"Hey! I got it!" Just as Martin tied the knot the line spun, the fish taking off.

"Get behind me! Hooper! Reverse her! Takin' a hell of a lotta line!" Quint yelled orders.

"Martin, wet the reel!" Samantha said, taking his place behind Quint.

"Hooper! Reverse her! Duck your head down chief! We're swingin', get behind me again! No more water, it only'll drown me! Hooper, you idiot! Starboard! Ain't you watchin' it?! Sam go help the bastard steer! Hooper, neutral! Where'd he go now? And he ain't foolin' me! What's he makin' out now? Go on, try it! I don't know chief, I don't know. He's very smart or very dumb. Jesus Chr-- He's gone under. He's gone under the boat, I think he's gone under the boat. Yeah, it's too easy. He's a smart big fish!
He's gone under the boat! Keep it steady now! I got something very big!"

Quint said all of this very fast. So Samantha just rolled her eyes and complied, climbing up to join Hooper.

"I don't think so." Hooper muttered.

"You don't think what?" She asked.

"I don't think it's a shark." He said, as he continued to watch Quint. "Hey Quint, let it go!" He sighed.

"Hey Hooper? Maybe you're a big yahoo on the land but out here you're just supercargo. If you don't want to backstroke home, you get down here!" Quint yelled back.

Hooper scoffed. "All right, you don't want to listen to me? Don't listen to me. It's not a shark."

"The wire's showing! The wire's showing!"

"Unbuckle me! Get on the other side. Grab the reel Hooper." He yelled.

Hooper did as told, grabbing the line and pulling it. "Tuna or a swordfish. Wastin' our time!" He mumbled. "It might be a marlin or a stingray but it's definitely a game fish!"

The wire snapped, sending hooper tumbling into Samantha. "Fuck." They both groaned.

"Gamin' fish eh? Marlin? Stingray? Bit through this piano wire? Don't you tell me my business again! You get back on the bridge." Quint said, not even bothering to help him up.

"Quint, that's doesn't prove a damn thing." Samantha snapped.

"It proves you'll take lover boys side over mine." He muttered and walked into the cabin.

Samantha huffed, helping Hooper up. She laughed as he made rude faces to Quint through the glass on the way up to the bridge.

"Hooper?! Twelve minutes south southeast, now, full throttle!" They heard Quint yell.