4 | ❝My First Love❞ - Sungchan

╔══════════════════╗
JUNG SUNGCHAN
✎ iv. my first love
╚══════════════════╝

"I don't think I went out with girls that much before I met you

"I don't think I went out with girls that much before I met you. I got a lot of love confessions in school, though. Had my fair amount of crushes on girls, too." Sungchan said as he scrolled through his phone. The conversation had been brought up naturally as you were doing your hair for your date tonight.

"Did you like any of them better than me?" You asked, sort of as a throwaway question. Though, you were slightly curious. You had your own insecurities about relationships. You had never had proper crushes before— you never had time for it in high school. It wasn't until college that you met Sungchan and fell in love for the first time. He was your first everything. First crush, first kiss, first boyfriend, first love. You hoped you were comparing to his past girlfriends. He seemed happy with you, but you had never really asked him.

Sungchan scowled, looking up from his phone to look at you through the mirror on your vanity, "What kind of a question is that? I barely remember them."

"How do you forget your past girlfriends?" You frowned, confused at how that was possible. You definitely couldn't imagine ever forgetting Sungchan if you broke up with him in the future. You hoped that would never happen, though. You didn't need to have dating experience to know that Sungchan was one of the best men you would ever find.

Your boyfriend just shrugged, "I don't know. I think I always knew that it wasn't going to last. I could never see a future with them, no matter how hard I tried. It was inevitable that we were gonna break up eventually."

You hummed in thought, "Then... Am I not like that?"

He giggled, "You're so cute. No, you're not like that. I know I have a future with you. I want to marry you someday, you know." He said it so easily, smirking at the way your cheeks grew instantly red. You really didn't know that because this was the first time that Sungchan had given you that little piece of information.

"What about you? How do I compare to your past boyfriends?" He asked to change the subject slightly, seeing how flustered he had made you.

You suddenly got nervous. Your boyfriend wasn't the type to judge you, but you just had so many experiences of being judged for being single in the past. "You're still single in your twenties?" or "You didn't date at all in high school?" were the most common questions thrown your way. It always felt like something you should be ashamed of. Boys must've not thought you were pretty enough to ask out, or maybe it was something wrong with your priorities. You shouldn't have put your studies over dating for all those years.

You had finally found solace from that uncomfort when you proudly could say that Sungchan was your boyfriend. Your old friends who had once questioned why you didn't have a boyfriend seemed impressed with Sungchan, which gave you a much needed confidence boost.

"I... haven't really..." You mumbled, your response crumbling before it could finish being told; your shoulders sinking in embarrassment.

"Hm?" You glanced at your boyfriend through the mirror, finding his gaze soft and eager to hear what you were going to say.

"I haven't dated before this. You're my first ever boyfriend."

Sungchan looked shocked, and then his face bloomed with joy, "Really? I'm your first boyfriend?!" He asked excitedly. You nodded, still a little embarrassed. "How!? I mean I'm happy— unbelievably happy— that I'm your first, but how did no one want to date you before? You're the prettiest girl on the planet!" He insisted, and you only blushed more.

"I don't know... No one ever did." You murmured.

"Did you have crushes?" He asked, the grin never leaving his face. His excitement was contagious, and you eventually smiled as well.

"No, not really. Not until I met you." You laughed.

"That's crazy..." Sungchan giggled. He couldn't ignore the elated feeling in his chest, buzzing with a million butterflies in his stomach. He hadn't felt so happy since he had first kissed you.

Sungchan would never let it go after that. Whenever there was an opportunity to bring it up, he would be reminding you that he was your first love (as if you could ever forget). He'd try to use it to get things he wanted as well— though, mostly hugs or kisses.

"You shouldn't reject a hug from me because I'm your first love!"

"Your first love is sad and needs kisses."

Particular times when he would use it at just the right moment, softly whispering into your ear that he was your first love and about how much he loved you, it would make your heart race. It was no longer something to be insecure about, thanks to Sungchan. Now, it was something you would always be glad of.

After all, there was something magical about only ever having one person that you had given your heart to. And Sungchan took extremely good care of it. He treasured your entire being with everything he had, and exactly a year after he first found out he was your first, he proposed to you.

He had always said it was inevitable to happen. Even though you weren't his first, you still felt like it. He had never been in love with someone as intensely as he was with you, and he made sure you knew that. Even when he had put a ring on your finger and was absolutely certain that you were his for the rest of time, he still liked to make sure that you knew just how much he loved you.