Heart-To-Heart

Today is a Saturday. The sun shines through my window, illuminating the sticky note on my lamp. I sit up. On it, a small note is written.

I've got Pack stuff to do today. Silas is going to pick you up. Be ready by 11 a.m and bring your ice skates. If you don't have any, I've left Silas some money.

-D

Hmm. I glance at the clock. It reads ten forty-five. Groaning, I get up to go to the bathroom. Upon examining my curls, I soak them in water and put in some leave-in conditioner. Then I brush it through and style it into an at-the-nape low ponytail. Ice skates, huh? We must be going somewhere cold. Although it is the fall. I originally lived in Minnesota, so I do in fact own a pair of ice skates.

I sling them over my shoulder as I make my way downstairs. Claudia and Noah must be sleeping still. My heart wrenches again at the thought of having a brother. Silas waits outside in a totally not conspicuous black convertible, looking annoyed as usual. I pause. I'm not sure whether I should sit in the back or the front. It's like he reads my mind, because he pushes open the passenger door.

"Throw your stuff in the back. But not too hard, I don't want your ice skates cutting up my dad's nice car." He says, nonchalantly. I sigh. Great. I do as he says, then take my seat, shutting the door. We drive in silence. I tap my foot, avoiding him as best I can. But I yelp when the car jerks to a sudden stop and my head slams into the dash, effectively breaking the skin.

"What the hell?" I demand, but Silas isn't looking at me. He's staring dead ahead. The street we're on is a one-way, and fields surround us on both sides. In front of us is...a cow? A fucking cow...standing in the middle of the road. We exchange a glance then get out of the car at the same time. Silas leads the cow out of the road while I explore. I freeze as I step on something squishy. Horrified, I slowly look down and gag.

A dismembered cow lies on the ground. Its intestines are spewed outwards. It's only then that I catch its putrid scent. This cow has been dead for hours. Despite my better instincts and heaving stomach, I lean down to get a better look at it. Flies buzz all around it. Its mouth slacks open in a permanent state of pain. I can see that its legs have also been mauled and bitten.

"What did this?" I mutter underneath my breath. "An Alpha." I jump. Silas stands behind me, surveying the scene with a concerned face. "A rogue one. I'm willing to bet it's the same one that bit you. It probably killed those, too." Those? I stand up and almost fall over. All throughout the field are more scattered cow bodies. "I don't understand, why would they leave evidence that they were here?" Silas shakes his head.

"They wouldn't. It's a Law to not expose our existence to human kind. Unless they're on their deathbed or something. Some already know. We call them Hunters and Allies. The hunters, obviously, hunt us. Kill us for sport. And the Allies are humans, typically in law departments, that help cover up accidents and situations like this. Your cousin, Noah, is one." I backtrack. Noah knows about werewolves? Suddenly Claudia's comment about the "wolves" makes sense.

"Rogue werwolves typically do not know who they are or what they're doing. It's a human trauma response to how they ended up that way. It could be anybody. I know this is an Alpha, because only Alpha's can do this type of damage." So basically, the mystery person is narrowed down to everyone in the city? Great. "Call your cousin. I'll take care of this, just go ahead to the rink, take my car. My brother and James should already be there." Then he hands me his keys.

~~~

Noah is on the sight almost immediately. I can tell he's none too surprised to see me. "I knew it was only a matter of time. Go ahead with your friends. I've got the situation." Wait. If he knows about the werewolves, is it possible he knows his true heritage? He deserves to know. "Noah? My mom told me something about your...history." He cuts me off. "I know, Ginny." I cock my head. "You..know?" He nods.