Healing Hurts

I glare at her as she begins to straighten up my room. Moving into a mental hospital permanently is a tiring process when you aren't allowed out of your bed and certainly aren't allowed to do anything but bark orders at the dumb as brick nurses who are manhandling your stuff. I refused to keep almost all my stuff but the most essential items like my piano sheet music, my laptop, iPod, and all my books. Gladys had been please that I was finally furnishing the room until she found out that I wasn't really bringing in anything personal other than those few items. Even all my clothing I demanded be bought new so that it contained no memories for me. Its psychotic and weird but damn it I am a mental patient now!

"Where do you want these, sweetie?" asks Gladys coming in with my last box of books.

"Over there with the other three," I demand angrily as I watch from my potion in bed poised like the Queen of Sheba.

"Okay that's the last of them," she says smiling up at me with such a friendly expression. "How about we unpack them later and go for a walk now?"

"Is it almost three?" I ask eagerly. My visits have become fewer these past two weeks because of the weather being so bad. I understand that he doesn't want my daughter to get sick but it kills me every day she doesn't come and visit.

"Yes but it's been raining all day sweetie," Gladys replies softly. "I don't think she's coming today."

I can feel the tears burning behind my eyes as she says this and have to suck in a breath to hold them back. "That's alright Gladys. I'll just stay here this afternoon. You can leave now." I can hear how sad and empty my voice sounds when I speak but what meaning does my life have if I can't see the person who means the most to me?

"I do have something else you might enjoy instead," says Gladys picking me up and sitting me in my wheelchair. "It's not as special as seeing your baby girl but I hope it can cheer you up a little. I hate to see you cry!"

"Fine show me this surprise of yours," I say sniffling and wiping discreetly at my eyes. All this damn rain is getting to me. I used to love the rain because of its soft melodic sound and the way it felt like it kissed your skin. Now I hate it because it keeps me from my baby.

Gladys wheels me through the huge house heading for a wing I've never visited before. Not that I've been doing much exploring in my current state. Besides even if I did I'm under constant guard with someone outside my door all the time. Part of the perks of being that jerk face's mate. Not only will he not let me die now he won't even let me go. Asshole. I'm starting to fume but at that moment we reach a door that Gladys opens wheeling me into a dark room with large windows casing me to stare in awe.

The windows cover two whole walls from floor to ceiling giving it a spectacular view of the garden and of the storm. The curtains have been drawn back and as lightning flashes it illuminates the only object in the room. It's a grand piano sitting right next to the window.

"Can I play?" I ask breathlessly. It's been months since I even sat at a piano let alone played and I'm dying to get my fingers on one.

"Of course you can," Gladys says smiling down at me. "Here let's get you over there and set you up on the seat." She pushes me over to it and lifts me out of the chair and onto the seat before the gently pushing it in so that I can reach the keys.

For a moment I stare at it in wonder as the weight of the pain I've been feeling lifts from my chest. Raising my shaky hands I reach out to stroke the keys and the moment my fingers touch I find myself playing a soft, hauntingly sad melody. My fingers fly across the keys as I let them take over and cry for me. I don't shed a single tear but the music is my outlet. When I stop I hear a sniffle behind me and turn to see Gladys and the two muscle guys who guard me with pained looks on their faces. Gladys is openly crying while the guys simply look guilty. They know why I'm locked up in here. They know what he did. They know how broken I am.