If I Had Wings

If I Had Wings

"Avery!" I can hear him calling my name but I don't respond. I don't care anymore. Nothing matters anymore. Nothing at all.

"Avery get down from there!" I keep on walking my arms spread out to my side as I balance precariously on the edge of the railing on the bridge. It's a huge bridge and really high up over the water beneath it. One slip and I could fall to my death not that it matters. . .

"Avery what the hell are you doing?!" I turn my head and see Derek running toward me. My face is made of stone as I stare down at him. He effortlessly reaches me trying to reach up to help me down.

"Does it matter what I'm doing you got what you wanted just leave me alone," I say bitterly as I continue walking.

"Please Avery don't do this to me, don't do this to her!" He's practically begging me and I can hear the undercurrent of alpha in his voice.

"I think I have wings," I say nonchalantly as I wobble a little but manage to keep my balance. "Beautiful, bright, white wings that can carry me far, far away. There's nothing left for me here - you made sure of that."

"I'd give you anything Avery!" He pleads. "You're my mate - I'm sorry I was such an ass before I didn't mean to fuck things up like this."

"If I jump I can spread my wings and fly," I croon lovingly as I spread my arms even farther. "It would be glorious."

"Get the fuck off of there!" Derek snarls starting to let his anger seep through.

"Why are you here Derek?" I ask slanting my eyes down at him. "I don't care about you. You should have just rejected me but no you decided to do something even worse. And for that I'll always hate you. So goodbye Derek I hope you live a long and miserable life but remember I will come back from the dead if you ever harm her."

With those words I turn my back to him and prepare to jump but a noise behind me stops me. Whirling around I see Linda running towards us a tiny pink bundle in her arms as she runs. The bundle is crying so loud that I can hear the noise even from here. Tear fill my eyes as I hear my baby daughter crying out for her mother but I know I can never be with her.

"My baby girl," I whisper as I spread my arms again and let my weight carry me backwards over the edge of the cliff. "I wish I could stay with you. . ."

I stare aimlessly at the white wall in front of me as the doctor and nurse bustle around me trying to make me as comfortable as possible with a broken leg, knee, both ankles, sprained wrist, and a broken shoulder. I have two black eyes, and a split lip to boot. They say I'm lucky to be alive and in return I tell them to go to hell. If I wasn't a werewolf I doubt I'd have survived. The doctor told me that I've been in a coma for almost two weeks and that I've had visitors every day. This is my first day awake.

"Where's my baby?" I rasp for the umpteenth time. "I want to see my baby girl."

"You're still so weak sweetie why don't you wait until you feel better," the nurse's smile is so sweet looking I want to claw her eyes out. Both the doctor and nurse are both wolves and I know they're both stronger than me right now but that doesn't stop me from getting pissed off.

"I want my baby!" I scream thrashing around so violently that my legs rip out of the supports as I rip the IV out of my arm and the tubes from around me. "Let me go! I want out!" I manage to sit up dangling my legs over the side of the bed before the stunned doctor and nurse can do anything. The next thing I know I'm being grabbed and dragged back into the bed. "NOOO!"

"We're going to have to sedate her," says the doctor yelling over my blood curdling scream. "Thank god she's still so hurt or we'd never be able to control her."