CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

-The Dueling Trio-

We found ourselves on the main deck of the ship, Edmund and I casually seated atop barrels at the side, while Lucy made her way to the bow of the ship

A comfortable silence enveloped us for a moment, the rhythmic sounds of the ship slicing through the waves providing a soothing backdrop.

"So, what were you up to before you arrived here?" I inquired, my curiosity piqued.

"I was actually in Lucy's room with my cousin, reading letters from Susan," he replied casually.

A soft pout formed on my lips at the mention of his sister. "I miss her and Peter terribly."

He chuckled softly. "I'm certain they miss you just as much."

Curiosity tugged at me. "How did you end up here?"

"Through a painting," he disclosed, and my eyes widened in surprise.

"A painting?"

"Yes, precisely. In the painting, there was a depiction of a ship—the very ship we're on now—and an endless ocean. Suddenly, the waters from the painting surged forth, creating a passage, and my cousin attempted to halt it by trying to destroy the painting. However, inadvertently, he too found himself transported here to Narnia," he elaborated, recounting the peculiar turn of events that led to their arrival.

The intricacies of how they traversed from their world into Narnia held me spellbound, the idea of a painting acting as a portal to this mystical realm captivating my imagination.

"Wait, wait," I interjected, furrowing my brows in sheer confusion as I instinctively raised my hand in front of him. "Your cousin is also here?"

He simply nodded in response.

My bewilderment only grew. "But how is that even possible?"

"Well, he's actually in this room with us," he shrugged nonchalantly.

My eyes widened in surprise as I scanned the room, half-expecting to suddenly spot another unexpected visitor. The idea of his cousin, present but unseen, in the same space, left me momentarily mystified.

"Tell me, how did you find yourself here?" Edmund inquired, a hint of curiosity in his voice.

I chuckled, shaking my head at the memory. "It was quite an amusing experience, to be honest. Yours, on the other hand, are rather remarkable."

"Please, do share," he urged, a mischievous grin forming on his face.

"After receiving and perusing your letter," I recounted, "I promptly penned a response and ventured out of the house to post it to you. After that, I came across a telephone booth on the side of the street. I tried calling you, yet unfortunately, there was no response."