Chapter 2

Mr. Atwell didn't wait for Erika to answer and said, "Mr. Rogers, as you know, we have a strict policy against Erika and any form of sharp objects."

She looked at the drama teacher as if he had just grown a set of wings. Did he have to bring up all the times she stood up for herself? Sure, using scissors to pin people to walls may not be the healthiest method, but it got the point across. The school penalized her for it just because boys didn't get the hint that she didn't want to hang out after school. She was lucky she was even still in a club at this point.

"How else am I supposed to cut fabric for costumes?" Erika asked.

Steve said, "She makes a good point. You don't allow her to perform or-"

"It's more of what she did with them," Mr. Atwell interrupted. "Just show him." Erika rolled her eyes and began twirling her scissors around her finger a few times. "I'm afraid we have to ask you to remove her from the school. Last time, she chased Cat-"

Erika gave him a confused look, saying, "We all explained that it was a scene from a play for your class!"

"Regardless, we can't have her here anymore. I'm sorry."

"Fine. Whatever." She walked out of the building.

Steve had had enough of Mr. Atwell. His brother was the principal and it made him feel as if he had power over the students. Being given the right to expel students on his own whims was one of those powers. But Steve had a bit of power too.

"I hope you know what you've cost this school with this decision," Steve growled.

There was a slight sense of fear in the teacher's eyes, but he knew Steve wouldn't attack him. No one seemed to understand that Erika had two last names for a reason. Tony was Erika's other parent, and his contribution to the school was what kept them from dropping a good number of clubs and their activities.

Steve stomped back to the office, with Mr. Atwell following, and told the secretary to not expect a donation next month. He looked back with satisfaction, seeing the dawning recognition in the educator's expression as color drained from his face. He couldn't take back the expulsion that had cost the school its biggest contributor.

After another ten minutes, putting in a request to transfer and appeasement of the expulsion to allow it, Steve got in his car and set off towards the compound. He knew his daughter was upset and he had accused her outright. He took her hand and she squeezed it, smiling at him. She forgave him.

"So," Steve said, replacing his hand on the wheel, "are you going to tell me what set you off or-"

Erika sighed and replied, "He compared me to Sharon again." The only blemish on the school Erika could see was that Sharon Carter had been an alumnus. "I focused on my work and twirled the scissors without thinking. Then, one of the kids said I should be grateful she's my 'mom.'"

"Well, they don't know her like we do. The only thing you got from her is your attitude. Everything else is all you."

Erika chuckled. "Thanks, Dad, but we all know I got my attitude from you."

Steve couldn't deny he saw a lot of himself, pre-serum, in his daughter. "Guess that means not a single part of her is in you, right?"

"That's right." Erika looked proud at the reminder. "That school was toxic anyway. I hope Pop's won't be upset his donations went to waste."

Steve knew Tony wouldn't care about the money, only that they had run their little girl out by bringing up a triggering memory. "I'll handle your papa. We're almost home." He looked at his daughter. "Things will get better, princess."

She put her head on his shoulder. "I know, Dad. Because we have each other."

Steve smiled at her before looking back at the road. His daughter was trying to be tough but he saw how much pain she was in. He hoped the next school would be more understanding and have fewer teachers on a powertrip.