Eleven

E l e v e n ♥ July 3rd

I woke to probably the most annoying song this morning. Mondays were already so awful that they definitely needn't begin at eight A.M. with five horrific singers practically screaming "Happy Birthday".

I groaned and rolled over to bury my head underneath my pillow. My Dad tugged the pillow off of me, still singing that God-awful song. I sighed, realizing that the sooner I got up, the sooner it'd be over. I sat up groggily and blinked my eyes to fix my blurry vision.

My mom was smiling while she sang and was holding up a birthday cupcake. It had candles that read "19" on it (lit) and was covered in pretty blue frosting. It was a chocolate cupcake, I could tell.

Dad stood next to my mother, giving me an "I'm-so-sorry" look. Aunt Tracie, Troy, and Gramma Lily all stood behind my parents. Gramma Lily was definitely the worst singer of them all.

Cole above me groaned and growled. "Stop it! My ears are bleeding!" he begged, his voice sounding hoarse and like he'd just been strangled or something.

Everyone just ignored him, though, and finished up the song. My mother smiled at me. "Make a wish, dearie," she told me.

I wished that no one else would sing that song to me for the rest of the day and blew out the two candles. My mom took the candles out of the cupcake, licked the chocolate and frosting from them, and then gave them to my dad to take care of.

Mom gave me my cupcake and then shooed Gramma Lily, Aunt Tracie, and Troy out of the camper so I could have some room to get ready for the day. I sat with my parents at the table while Mom told me about all that would be happening today.

Because it was my birthday, I didn't have to hike. In fact, I could basically whatever I wanted. I even got my phone back! After the hike and once everyone was back, as a family we were going to go to Konteka for dinner, and then celebrate my birthday with the campground.

Sadly, I wouldn't get any presents until tonight.

Cole got up while Mom was still explaining all of this and tried (and failed) to get some of my cupcake. I glared at him, he glared back, and then he got out some cereal, a bowl, and milk.

Mom smiled. "So? What do you think? That sound like a good birthday plan?"

I knew that she would feel bad if I said anything but, "Definitely. Thanks a ton, Mommy. Love you."

I quickly finished up my cupcake, and then got the baggy of shampoo, conditioner, and soap, towel, and the clothes I'd be wearing today. "I'm gonna hit the shower," I said. "I'll be back."

I got out of my camper with a sigh. I just knew that today was going to be long.

Lucky for me, it was pretty early so I got to take a shower in peace. I even took my time in the shower, since I had some extra time on my hands. I got changed into some clothes after my shower, I got my hair mostly dry, packed up all my stuff in a bag, and literally only took a step outside when I was bombarded by Nikki, Hailey, Valerie, Lisa, and Nikki's friend.

I blinked at them. "Um. Hi." I said, not really sure what else to say.

Valerie and Lisa grinned widely at me. Then, as if on cue, they all began to sing that dreadful song. I stood there with a fake smile on my face and pretending like it was enjoyable to listen to people screaming about my birthday in my face.

I guess those stupid birthday wishes don't come true after all.

Lisa, who was standing in the middle of them all, pulled out a present from behind her back. The present was wrapped in red wrapping paper with blue and green and yellow balloons on it. It was rectangular and was most likely a book. But, hey, I loved books! "Happy birthday, Erin," she said nicely.