N i n e

*I've recently found a dramatic error in my writing that happened two or one chapter(s) ago. It had to do with one of the people going swimming. His name is Carter. He was introduced, and then just disappeared. I've corrected my error on my Microsoft version of "Camping, Families, and Odd Occurrences", but I've yet to correct on Wattpad. This chapter is completely unedited.

N i n e ♥ June 29th

“So,” Hailey said. “Calyx, you’re going with Valerie to the house to check on Hunter, right?” Hailey raised an eyebrow. Or maybe she wiggled them at her brother. I wasn’t really sure, but she did something and Calyx nodded, helping Valerie to take a stand. I winked at her playfully, and she blushed crimson.

   Everyone that had been swimming was standing around Valerie to discuss “adult things”. James and Cole were both not quite adults yet, but they did both have a driver’s license so they passed the judgment I guessed.

   “Isn’t Noni home?” I asked, referring to their grandmother who was currently living at their home.

   Calyx shook his head. “Nah, she left early in the morning to go do something, I’m not sure what.”

   I nodded in understanding.

   Hailey nodded along with me and as Val and Calyx left, she turned to the rest of us. “So, Lisa and I are planning on staying to watch over the little ‘uns. What about you guys? Who’s going to get the pizza?”

   Isabella instantly backed away from the job. “Not it,” she said.

   Carter glanced at Isabella and back at Hailey. “I agree with her; not it.” He backed up and ran out back to the lake to go for a dip again.

   “Erin and I could go get the pizza,” Matt offered, not even bothering to ask me if I wanted to go or not. Of course I did, but still. He didn’t ask me.

   Hailey nodded, “Sounds like a-“

   Cole quickly cut in though. “Actually, Matt, how about you and I go get the pizza, eh? Erin doesn’t like to go places wearing what she’s wearing anyways.” This was once again true, but no one asked me what I wanted to do. I glared at my brother, who just ignored me and stared at Hailey, who was frowning.

   She gave a questioning look to Matt, who just shrugged. “Fine. Cole and I can go get the pizza.”

   I had been replaced by my brother.

   What a sad, sad day.

   Cole grinned in victory. I so wanted to slap him, but I figured that I should save it for later. 

   So, Cole and Matt left to take the truck to the pizza deli while I sat back down in my beach chair and pulled out my Kindle. Hailey and Lisa went back swimming with Carter, but stayed relatively close to shore in case of an emergency. This ultimately meant that I was stuck with Nikki, Heather, Dylan, Roy, James, and Isabella.

   But especially Isabella.

   She’d been sitting in a secluded spot on the sand after the plans for pizza and Hunter were made, and she was just sitting there, not really saying or doing anything.

   I at first tried to ignore her, but I couldn’t for very long and ended up putting away my kindle, pulling on shorts and a shirt and going over to her. I sat down about a foot away from her and pulled my knees to my chest to keep warm.

   “Hey,” I said conversationally.

   Isabella glanced over at me and looked back at the lake. “Hi.” She answered quietly, shyly.