Chapter Eighteen

Heart pounding from the exertion, Christianna applauded the musicians as the song came to an end. It had been some time since she'd danced so much. She'd gone from one partner to the next without time to breathe. How much time had passed?

"Thank you, Mr. Willoughby," she said to the young man she'd just partnered with. She placed her hand in his as he gallantly led her off the dance floor.

The young man, who couldn't have been more than seventeen, flushed even more than he had been. "It-it was a p-pleasure, Miss Cooper. M-my p-pleasure" he stammered. "May I have the honor of taking you to supper?"

"I appreciate your offer, but I must decline," she told him, fudging the truth just a little. In London, she would have danced the supper dance with Percival to go into supper with him. Her gaze was already sweeping the room. Where was Sir Pericval? Guilt began to creep in. She had been having such a delightful time and hadn't thought to sit out and keep him company.

What must he think of her? He had gone out of his way to make this evening special, to give her an evening of enjoyment and she had forgotten all about him!

Then, she caught sight of the dark haired young man. He was sitting against the wall with an elderly woman. They had their heads close together, as if they were exchanging secrets.

Though she was curious what they could be speaking about, Christianna kept her curiosity in check. She bid farewell to the young Mr. Willoughby and set off to find something to drink. At the punch, she found a familiar face. "Mr. Gillham."

"Ah, Miss Cooper," the vicar greeted with a smile. He offered her a cup. "You appear to have been enjoying yourself."

"Oh, I have," she agreed, accepting the cup of punch. She hesitated before adding, "Though now I feel as though I've abandoned Sir Percival."

"I'm sure he will tell you that he wishes for you to enjoy yourself tonight," the vicar told her kindly. "But if you wish to make up for it, perhaps you could hint that you would like to dance with him."

"Why you must be the mysterious Miss Cooper!" A young voice exclaimed.

A pained expression flashed across Mr. Gillham's face. "Miss Cooper, have you been introduced to Miss Franny Wells?" he asked.

Christianna faced the young lady who was openly studying her. "No, I have not had that privilege," she said honestly. "Though I have heard the name. Good evening, Miss Wells."

The girl didn't even curtsy or acknowledge the introduction. "You're related to Miss Steit," she stated, tilting her head to the side.

"That is correct." Christianna didn't see any reason to avoid the truth. "She is my great-aunt, in fact, and I have been visiting her for the past few years. I believe Sir Percival already mentioned this when he spoke with your father."

The younger woman's eyes widened. "He told you about the visit?"

"Of course he did," Christianna said with a slight laugh. "Why would he not?"

There. Let the girl wonder just what Sir Percival had said. At the same time, however, Christianna did not hold out much hope that Miss Wells would believe there had been anything embarrassing about her or her family's behavior.

"It doesn't bother you that your family is talked about by everyone?" Miss Wells asked.

Mr. Gillham choked on the punch he had just drank. "People always talk," Christianna countered calmly. With a smile, she quoted, "'For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?'"

A deep furrow creased Miss Wells' forehead as she asked in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"I believe Miss Cooper just referenced a rather charming novel," Mr. Gillham said quickly. "Pride and Prejudice is the title, is it not? My sister cajoled me into reading it one winter. A fine piece of literature."