Chapter 7

Hailey's pov

I never realized how quiet it can be when you're alone. This was unusual for me since I was always surrounded by my friends, my family..
But now? It was silent. Too silent for me.

I was walking to school, alone. Zander stayed home because a sickness got him, and Luke stayed with him while Shannon and dad were at work. This was a pretty rare occasion, as Zander is practically obsessed with health, thus he almost never gets ill.

I was getting closer to my destination, and thankfully, I saw Sean and Milly chatting in front of the main entrance. I couldn't tell from afar what was the theme, but Sean seemed embarrassed and Milly was giggling her heart out. Soon enough, I walked over to them and the conversation suddenly died down.

"Hi guys!" I waved, greeting them with a smile.
"What are you 2 talking about?"

"Us? Oh, pfft, nothing important! Why?" Milly nervously grinned and put her elbow on Sean's shoulder. They were definitely hiding something..

I turned my head to Sean, hoping he would answer properly.

"No, really Hails, it was nothing!" he easily shook his hands in front of me, clearly denying something he didn't want me to know about.

"Alright then.." I avoided getting more curious. It probably was nothing important.
"Have you maybe seen Jake this morning? I wanted to talk to him."

"Ohoho, and why's that? You 2 have something.. important to discuss, I suppose?" Milly grabbed her chin and gave me a questionable smirk. Not this again..

"Look," I sighed. "whatever you're thinking, just stop. We're working on the lyrics for our new song, remember? Jake's helping me with writing them."

"Whatever you say Hailey~" she shrugged innocently, but the devious smile was still lurking on her face.

I left them behind after that. That conversation was so.. weird. I turned around one last time before going inside the building, only to see them continuing the talk they had before I've got there. Could they really be hiding something from me? No, that couldn't be possible. We all got each other's backs and trust one another.. right?

I guess not today.

I hated how strange everyone behaved. Jake was my only hope left for today. I was searching for him around the halls when I saw his ex friends chit-chatting. They were probably just gossiping like usual. Once they saw me, they began whispering something among each other and started chuckling stupidly. I rolled my eyes and continued my search for the lead singer.

If they don't want to mind their business, then I most certainly will.

Minutes passed, and I finally noticed him, awkwardly smiling and lightly nodding his head as he was speaking with someone. A group of kids who were standing close to him walked away, and I saw.. Daisy.

I watched 2 of them giggling together and it felt like everything else stopped. Everyone in that corridor who were talking, going to class, or doing anything else.. everyone became blurry. Nothing felt real anymore.

I felt it in my gut. That feeling striked again. Usually, it would be as butterflies were flying around in my throat, but now.. it felt as inside of my neck was burning.

Jake was asking Daisy out. It was happening. I just knew it.

...

I was dumb. How could I ever think that someone like Jake would have feelings for someone like me?
He was in love with Daisy for so long. How could've I even possibly think he had a thing for me? I was the oblivious one for not noticing the tension between him and the perfect girl sooner.

I turned around and began walking away. I didn't want to ruin their moment.

I didn't want to get in their way.

"Hey, Hailey! Wait!" a loud familiar voice called me. He was calling me.

My head followed the direction of the voice but Jake was already just a few inches away from me.
His warm smile seemed to cheer me up a bit.

"Can we.. talk outside?" his expression softened which was, for me, an instant nod.

We were walking to the school fence while sun was shining over our faces. I haven't even realized Jake left Daisy behind, just so he could talk to me.

Maybe.. there still was hope.

"Why did you want to talk here?" I leaned on a large tree that was casting a shadow over us.

"Soo.. I just wanted to say.." he nervously scratched his neck and continued explaining.
"I know you've seen me talking with Daisy. But.. it's not what you think it is."

"Really? You weren't asking her on a date just now?" I ironically tilted my head.

"I just.. didn't want you and the rest of the club to get it wrong. I know what you would've told them, so I just wanted to stop that from happening."

In the matter of moments, a grin sneaked up on his worried face.

"And you really need to stop letting jealousy get the best of you, y'know princess?"

I wasn't going to let him slide with flirting again.

"Oh, and that comes from someone experienced, I'm guessing?" I raised an eyebrow and returned the look with the same sharpness.

He only chuckled on that. His contagious laugh made me chuckle together with him.

"You know, if you're gonna do it already, you should hurry up. You don't want to keep us on a cliffhanger, do you Sterling?" I asked with a smirk as soon as we stopped with our giggling.

"Then I won't." he replied in a calm tone.
"I promise."

--------------------------------------------------

Author here! I'm sorry about the angst, but it had to happen, sooner or later🥲. Anywaysss, we're getting to the big finale pretty soon, be patient ;).
I have planned out situations that will occur in each chapter, so from now except the updates more often(⁠◕⁠દ⁠◕⁠).

Shout out to everyone who led my fanfic 1.25k reads, when I started writing I never knew I would get past 500 reads, but it got A LOT more attention than I expected<3

Hope to see you soon, my little stars!🌠