Chapter One: The Best (and Worst) Trip of My Life

OKAY so this is a new story I'm trying to write... I hope you like it!

(P.S-- If you have any comments/questions/critique I would greatly appreciate it!!) 

Chapter One: The Best (and Worst) Trip of My Life

            It was supposed to be a fun, relaxing trip to Mexico. Walks on the beach, hikes through the rain forest, Mayan pyramids to tour, little street-side markets to barter at; it was going to be a much appreciated break from the confines of everyday life. But bad luck seems to follow me everywhere, even on vacation. Because bad luck never takes a vacation.

            I scribbled out the last sentence, finding it a bit too melodramatic and cheesy for my tastes. Since I was going on vacation in Mexico, I found it fitting to write my mystery/crime story for English on a trip to Mexico gone wrong. I was excused from all the other worksheets and quizzes if I wrote a quality story to read in front of the class about the unit we’re on: Mystery.

            Of course, my story was going to be much more exciting and dramatic than the real trip. Yes, it was true that we were going for walks on the beach, hikes through rain forest, and touring ancient Mayan pyramids, but we’d be with a huge group of American tourists that also won the “Dream Trip to Mexico” sweepstakes at the local news station, whereas in my story the family would be a richer, high-class group of civilized people who also worked as international spies for a rouge government. Okay, maybe not; that part was still in debate.

            In reality, my family consisted of me, Scarlette Anderson, my brother, Matt Anderson, my big sister Veronica Anderson, and my parents, Bill and Mary Anderson. I was 16, Matt was 13, Veronica was 19, and my parents were in their forties (they didn’t like me disclosing their real ages). We were a middle class family from Wisconsin (glamorous, right?), and we didn’t have that exciting of a life. Which is why I’m trying to spice it up on paper. No one wants to hear a story about a chaotic family that can’t seem to keep everyone together and mostly consists of my brother being annoying, my sister claiming that no one understands her, me being annoyed and exasperated, and my parents trying to keep everything together. Yup. This was going to interesting.

            “Scarlette! Scarlette sweetie, have you seen Matt anywhere? He’s not in his seat!” Mom said in a panicky voice. I rolled my eyes, already knowing how this vacation was going to turn out.

            “Did you check the on-flight kitchen? He’s probably trying to flirt with the flight attendants or stuffing his face with free cookies.” I said.

            To prove my point, a flight attendant stormed down the aisle, tugging my brother by the ear.

            “Hey, babe, I thought we had something going there? Ouch!” Matt squealed as she tugged harder.

            “Is this your son?” She said, addressing my mother. She looked disappointed in my brother and relieved that she found him at the same time.

            “Yes, yes, that’s my son.” She said, pulling him away from the angry attendant. “Well, keep him away from me. And the rest of the flight attendants. And I will be sure to charge you for the three pans of cookies he managed to stuff down his throat.” She snapped. Turning on her heel, she marched back down the aisle, her high heels clicking on the linoleum floor. Matt watched her go, her long straight blonde hair swishing behind her and her above-the-knee length pencil skirt extenuated her long legs. I smacked him upside the head.

            “What’s the matter with you, kid? You think Mom and Dad aren’t stressed enough on this vacation without you running off and getting in trouble? Just behave yourself, okay? And seriously? Three pans?” I said. Matt just shrugged and plopped himself back down in his seat, cranking up the volume on his iPod.

            “We’ve only been on vacation for a day and all it seems to be about is Matt, Matt, and more Matt. I took a whole week off of college for this vacation to Mexico and no one even cares that I’m here. I knew I should have just stayed in Wisconsin!” Veronica muttered, not caring that Mom was sitting right behind her and that she heard every word.

                 “Veronica, stop it! Okay, look you two. This may be one of the last true family vacations we ever have, and I want it to be good. So Matt, stay out of trouble and Veronica, stop complaining. If you don’t want to be here, go home.” I said sternly.

            Veronica rolled her eyes and Matt muttered, “Whatever.” Luckily, though, they stayed quiet and minded their own business.

            I picked up my notebook again and tried to write, but a strange, ominous feeling came over me and I couldn’t concentrate. Maybe this vacation won’t be as normal as I thought.

            A few hours later, our plane landed and we started off on our first adventure: Camping in a jungle. We couldn’t even keep track of our family on a closed-in plane, though; a jungle was pushing it.

            When we got to the baggage claim area, we saw our local newscaster holding a sign that said, “Dream Trip to Mexico”. After grabbing our bags, we followed her and we all got into jeeps that would take us to the campsite. We made civil conversation with the other families, and still not a word from either Matt or Veronica. I would have to remind them to put on a happy face when we got to the campsite. I mean, we were in Mexico! They shouldn’t be moping around because I yelled at them!

            The jungle was pretty, but dangerous looking at the same time. I was worried, though, not because of the poisonous plants and strange animals, but because of the drug cartels and mobs. There had been a high number of unexplained deaths of unidentified people in these kind of jungles, and it had been all over the news recently. No one could figure how they died, who killed them, who they were, and why they were killed, so just in case, the news station made us sign a disclaimer before we came, stating that if we were hurt, killed, or kidnapped on this trip that we would not sue the news station.

            That, of course, made me feel better. Not. 

*****************************************************************************************************************

SO what did everyone think? Is it worth continuing or not?

COMMENT OR VOTE PLEASE!

-Eliz♥♥