081

King Shunde paced up and down his study, his thick brows knitted with rage. Waving his hands agitatedly in the air, he said, "How dare that miserable official send assassins after you? Who gave him the gall!"

"Your Majesty, this is the hundredth time you're repeating the same thing. If you have nothing else to say, then may I take my leave?" Zhenghuan got up from his seat, turning towards the doors.

"Why you little rascal!" The king looked around, then picked up a folding fan that was lying on the table, using it to smack Zhenghuan across the head. "Can't you just listen to your uncle grumble for a bit?"

"I have important things to do."

"What important thing could you possibly have to do in the capital? I don't remember giving you any tasks."

"I need to go hunt a pair of geese."

The king blanched, then hit Zhenghuan on the head again. "Now I see where your priorities lie. So eager to seek the young lady's hand in marriage? In case you've forgotten, I have yet to issue the marriage decree. On second thoughts, maybe I won't. After all, Ru-quan has also asked for me to betroth Han Zi-ning to him."

Zhenghuan spun around. "Uncle! You already promised!"

"I am the king. I am free to renege on my promises if I should so wish."

"You can't do that!"

King Shunde took one glance at Zhenghuan's expression of dismay, then burst out laughing. "I never would have imagined that one day that would be someone who would be able to affect you in this way," he said, sounding extremely pleased with that discovery. He patted Zhenghuan on the shoulder, then walked over to his desk and picked up a brush. "I'll write the decree right away. Best tie you down as quickly as possible, before you change your mind."

Zhenghuan's heart settled back down. "It's not funny," he grumbled. He knew that the likes of Ru-quan and Ru-an were all eyeing Zi-ning, so if he didn't settle this engagement soon, he feared that there would be unnecessary obstacles thrown his way. He arched his neck, trying to steal a glimpse of what the king was putting down onto the decree.

The king suddenly looked up. His eyes creased into merry slits. "Look at you. Do you need to be so anxious? It's very unbecoming of the Shadow Lord," he remarked. Picking up his royal seal, the king promptly stamped it onto the royal decree. "There you go. The decree can be issued today, but you'll still have to wait for your mother to arrive to formally begin the betrothal procedures. You can get the Ministry of Protocol to begin preparations though. Get them to choose a date for the wedding—the sooner the better."

The sooner the better—that was exactly what Zhenghuan hoped for as well. He picked up the silk scroll and carefully rolled it up, tucking it up his sleeve.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," he said, a little more respectfully than usual. "I'll wait until Mother arrives in Huangcheng before delivering the decree." If he went ahead and announced the king's decree without the proper betrothal gifts and processes, it might seem as if it was the king who was unilaterally forcing this marriage upon them. That would not do. He wanted everyone to know that he, Du Zhenghuan, was the one who wished to seek Zi-ning's hand in marriage, and he would not allow anyone to think any less of her.

"Is that all? A simple thank you? Surely you should tell me more about what happened during this trip back to Anyang, especially after giving me that scare with the assassination." The king gestured at the empty chair, beckoning for Zhenghuan to sit back down.

"Did you not read Bai Shengwu's report?"

The king scowled. "I'm not asking about the border situation. I'm asking about what happened with you!" he scolded. "I had expected General Du and Lady Du to have something to say about your decision to seek Han Zi-ning's hand in marriage. What of Yu Zixi?"