077

Zhenghuan was alone in his study, sorting through a pile of military reports to decide which he would need to bring back with him to the capital. He was officially not meant to return to Huangcheng, given that the Shadow army was permanently stationed by the border, but he had already written in secret to the king to seek permission in lieu of "personal matters", which his uncle had readily granted. He could have, of course, allowed Lady Li to carry out all the betrothal processes on his behalf, but he did not want to. He wanted to do everything personally.

A smug smile tugged upon his lips as he went through the list of things that would have to be done inside his mind. A betrothal was not to be taken lightly, because the importance accorded to the protocols and processes reflected the importance with which the groom's family regarded the bride.

I must hunt a pair of wild geese, he thought gleefully to himself. Wild geese were not easy to come by, so most families would make do with domestic geese or wooden carvings instead, but he would not have that. Zi-ning deserved only the best.

A stray thought suddenly intruded into his mind. What was it like when the eighth prince had delivered the betrothal gifts in Zi-ning's past life? Although he had no animosity towards Ru-wen, and he knew that this had all been part of Ru-an's plotting, it still left a sour taste lingering at the back of his throat.

However well Ru-wen had done before, he had to do better.

He had already sent word to his mother in Shandu, to ask her to return to Huangcheng to handle the betrothal protocols. If everything went smoothly, then Lady Li should arrive back at the capital around one to two weeks after them, which left a good amount of time for him to get things ready—and hunt some geese.

A knock came at the doors.

Zhenghuan looked up, frowning when he saw Enling standing there, carrying a wooden tray with a porcelain bowl on it.

"It's late. You shouldn't be here, Enling," he said.

"Zhenghuan-ge, I just came to say goodbye because you'll be leaving tomorrow," Enling replied, ignoring Zhenghuan's remark and entering the room. She walked over to his side, setting the tray down on the table. "I made some chicken soup. Will you try some?"

"I'm full," he replied curtly. He still remembered the caustic and accusatory remarks that Enling had flung at Zi-ning when they had returned from the desert, and he had no patience for this supposed second cousin of his right now. If not for the fact that she was a girl, he would have picked her up by the collar and thrown her out of the room already.

"Zhenghuan-ge, are you angry with me? I know I shouldn't have said those things about Han Zi-ning earlier. I apologise! I just..."

Tears began rolling down Enling's cheeks, and it only made Zhenghuan even more disgusted with her. She leaned in as if she wanted to rest herself against him, and he quickly took one step to the side. A strong waft of her floral perfume floated into his nostrils, making him want to sneeze.

Her wrinkled up his nose, moving to the other side of the table to put some distance between them.

"Zhenghuan-ge, don't you know how I feel about you? I don't have to be your principal wife. I'm happy enough if you'll allow me to stay by your side as a concubine, or even a maidservant. Will you please take me with you to Huangcheng?" the girl begged.

"Enling, you don't know what you're saying. Leave my room now," he commanded.

To his horror, Enling rushed towards him and threw her arms around his waist. "Please don't chase me away. I love you so much, surely you must know that. I promise I won't create trouble for Han Zi-ning, as long as you allow me to be with you!"