𝚂𝙸𝚇𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽

-𝚂𝙰𝙽𝚃𝙰𝙽𝙰'𝚂 𝙿𝙾𝚅-
𝙻𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

Bags of food rustled in your hand as you made your way through the door. The house was still alive with ESPN echoing from the living room TV. Footsteps ran your way as you closed your front door, trapping in the house's heat.

"NANA!" Your little sister, Sadari, shouted as she rushed around the corner. You hurried to put the food down before her tiny body leaped into your arms, swallowing you into a hug, "You're back!"

Behind her followed your toy poodle, Haley. Her tail wagged excitedly as she sniffed the plastic bags, trying to sneak a bite. You switched your sister to one arm, picking up the bag away from Haley's curious nose.

"Wassup mama," You welcomed back, giving her a smile, "You ain't sleep yet?" You carefully stepped over Haley who stuck closely by your legs. The puppy followed as you went to the kitchen, putting Sadari down first before placing the food on the counter. There, your mom and your other sister, Sade, greeted you, their bonnets already on for bed.

"Dede said you have cheesecake," Sadari cheesed, making her way over to the food. She to struggled stand on her toes as she peeked through the bags, "Where's the cake?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Dari. I forgot to get it," You apologized, finally giving Haley a rub, "But I got you some chicken tenders."

"Bro, you for real?" Sade whined, searching through the bags herself. Disappointed, she crossed her arms, giving you a frown, "I've been waiting for that cheesecake all day."

"I bet you were, big hungry ahh." You joked. She rolled her eyes at you, pulling out her box of food before taking a seat at the counter.

"We can always go another time," Your mother assured, handing Dari her food. She grabbed another box from the bag, carefully stacking it onto the first, "Go give your daddy his food too, ok?"

     "Ok, mommy," Sadari smiled. You watched as she rushed towards the exit of the kitchen. Haley, noticing the unstable boxes in her hands, quickly followed behind awaiting the oncoming mess of food.

"Slow down!" Your mom yelled worryingly to the disappearing figure. She rolled her eyes turning to Sade, who already had her mouth full of the pasta she ordered, "Dede, make sure she don't drop his food please." Sade huffed, closing her box before following after the energetic 4-year-old down the hall.

You quickly washed your hands before going back to the bag to get your own food. "Y'all eating late," You pointed out. It was around 9, which was usually the time the house turned in for the night.

"We were waiting on you to order something to the house," She replied back, handing you a fork, "What happened? You said you were gonna be home like an hour ago."

"My bad, I got... distracted," You quickly apologized, feeling bad for delaying their meal.

"No, I'm happy you're getting out more," She smiled, "Just next time text me, ight? You had me worried something happened. And ion need no more cops showing up at the door."

Your mom was always the type to worry. Scared that you might get in trouble or even hurt again, she constantly stresses herself out. Especially with this new move, you often found her checking up on you. Asking questions about school, basketball, friends. And while most of it is justified, you wish she would start to depend on you more. Trust that you're able to take care of not only her but your sisters too.

"Is it a girl?"

"Huh?!"

"I'm just saying..." She grinned, happy your response. "This whole semester I've been tryna get you out the house. The neighbor's bake sale, the team's group events, prom. And now you're suddenly going out by yourself?"