Let Me Take Flight

The Hiccups Along The way 6 (Let me take flight)

Today was the day I've been dreading for the past week. Dad and all the other Vikings were coming back to Berk and I had no idea of what was going to happen. I'm fairly certain that the villagers have become more accepting of me with my 'excelling' in the dragon training, but I wasn't one-hundred percent sure.

Right now I was trying to not worry about that, instead I was focusing on my best friend and the pleasant rush I felt while soaring through the air. Glancing down at my cheat sheet every so often, I made sure that toothless' prosthetic fin was in the correct position.

"Okay there bud we're going to take this nice and slow." I keep my hands clutched tightly onto Toothless' reigns as I squint down at the paper. At the moment I was a conflicting mess of emotions – I was anticipating the worst possible outcomes for when Stoick returned, and I had to worry about not falling off my reptilian friend all the while keeping my cheat sheet on hand so we wouldn't go plummeting to our untimely deaths. "Okay... Um here we go – Position three – No, four..." tilting my right heel back, toothless and I continued our smooth flying, and boy did it feel magical. "Alright it's go time" I muttered to myself as I checked Toothless' artificial tail once again from over my shoulder.

After an increasingly speedy dive I shouted encouraging words to Toothless (And also to myself) as we began to fly through the forest of rocks that stood in the ocean surrounding Berk. Of course Loki seemed to love messing with my life because toothless and I began to crash into various pillars whilst I was still awestruck by the tail working and just the actual feeling of flying on the back of a dragon. "Sorry!" I called out, my shoulder jarring against the old, damp rocks "It was my fault"

I could practically feel the glare toothless sent me as he smacked the side of my face with his ear appendage things. After consulting the small sheet of parchment I slipped down to sit more comfortably on my riding saddle as Toothless began to fly straight towards the clouds. "This is amazing!" I loved the feeling of the wind in my hair and... Just the overwhelming sense of freedom flying with toothless gave me. Here I wasn't the chief's hiccup of a son. I wasn't expected to be anything – I didn't have to be. With Toothless... I could simply be myself without the threat of spite or judgment resting over my shoulders. Toothless really was becoming my best frien –

"Cheat sheet!" I gasped in horror as the paper that was keeping toothless and I in the air with little problem suddenly flew away. "Stop!" Oh... That was the wrong thing to say. Toothless followed my order to a tee and ceased flapping his wings, but the sudden stop along with our vertical incline caused the hooks I had placed to secure me to toothless was suddenly useless and I was free falling. "No!!" I changed my mind! I didn't like the feeling of the wind through my hair, nor the adrenaline rush the open skies gave me. Wriggling through the air I tried to grab hold of toothless, but because of his unusable prosthetic tail fin, the midnight reptile could only flail wildly and knock me in the fact a couple times with his wings and tail.

'Almost – I almost got it!' my fingers grazed my homemade saddle which sparked some hope in my heart. 'I just need to stretch-' "Yes!" taking firm hold of toothless I quickly hooked myself back into place and was able to keep us from getting torn apart by the rough pine trees of the forest. Just before the two of us were turned into Viking and dragon paste I let some strange instinct take over and somehow I was able to weave us through the rocky landmine unscathed.

I decided to change my mind again. With Toothless... The dangers of flying seemed worth it if I could share this amazing sight with my best friend. "We did it!" Still high on adrenaline I threw my hands up in the air, my screams of joy lost in the wind. And I had to guess that Toothless shared the same sense of joy to fly as he let out a toxic purple plasma blast straight ahead of us. "Come on!" I moaned as I felt the intense heat of the blast singe my hair and clothes. When we found land it dawned upon me that the intense heat and wind duo probably screwed up my appearance big time. "Crap" I groaned flopping up against my dragon companion "I'll need to take a bath down at the cove if I don't want the villagers to think that I burned the forge down again."