Prologue

Blood.

One of the most valued things in the land. Everyone held blood in a high regard-- where you come from almost painted who you are... and what path your paws were set on. Rogues were distrusted, Outlanders were spit on, and no one was held in a higher regard than the blood of Pridelands royalty themselves. Nala herself, actually.

And the very same Nala was ignoring it right now as she walked through the chilly nightof the rocky, barren Outlands. Her anticipation grew as she neared her destination; a small den faintly appearing over the crest of a rocky hill shrouded so tightly in darkness that Nala was relying more on the trail of scent instead of sight to find it. Her mind began to infest with worry -- what if the cub hadn't been born yet? What if it didn't happen until it was too late to sneak it back?

Nala picked up her pace, eager to reach the entrance, but a stab and ache in her body stopped her. The cream colored lioness bit back a hiss. She had given birth earlier that day and had to force herself with all her might to go on a walk this far. But she had to. Nala bit back pain as she ascended the small rocky hill, turned, and faced the den entrance. She peeked her head inside. "Hello?" she called, looking around.

"Nala?" Nala could barely see her in the darkness, but based on what she heard, her friend was lying in the back of the den. "You came." She crouched down and slunk inside. The den was small and cozy, the rocks inside smooth. The shadow of her friend grew bigger as she said wearily, "It just happened an hour ago. Come meet him."

Nala leaned in to see what looked like a bundle of fur lying in her friend's forelegs. She wanted to say, He's beautiful, Nirmala, but she couldn't. The words were caught in her throat like flies on honey.

But Nirmala was the first to speak. "Nala... you're different." Then a pause. It was hard to tell in the dark, but Nala pictured the lioness' expression shifting. "Did it happen?! Is yours born?!"

"Yes." Nala couldn't keep the joy from her voice, but at the thought of the precious princess she'd left at Pride Rock, a jab of guilt hit her. The little one, only born a few hours ago, was alone... I'll be back soon, she silently promised.

"That's... wonderful. You must be so proud." Even though the tone of Nirmala's voice was higher pitched, likely in an attempt to sound happy for the new mother, her words felt like stones being thrown into Nala's heart. "It all works out then."

Nala forced herself to nod, thinking about the amount of sheer luck it had taken for both her and Nirmala to both have their cubs on the same day, conveniently while the entire pride was away with Simba for a few days trying to arrange a peace treaty with the gorillas of the Theluji Mountains bordering the Pridelands. The expectation for both cubs to be born, both lionesses thought, should be around that time. The idea for Nala herself to take the cub hadn't exactly been recent, but her full agreement to it had alongside with them discovering just earlier it could work.

"Alright then." Nirmala's voice cracked; she wasn't trying to hide the sorrow anymore. "I guess this is goodbye."

At the words, Nala felt her eyes wet. She'd tried to harden her heart this entire time, to not let too mucn emotion shine through, but two little streams trailed down her cheeks anyway. She had prepared for this moment, for all the conflicting emotions she wasn't sure she was ready to feel, but now that it was here she couldn't bear it. She heard a small whimper and knew Nirmala was the same. "Goodbye..." Nala choked back tears as she gave up resisting... and leaned in to give Nirmala a nuzzle for the last time...

"Promise me you'll take care of him," Nirmala whispered shakily into Nala's fur.

"Of course. I promise," Nala whispered back, then scooped up the cub by his scruff and turned around, slipping out of the den and into the night.