It wasn't your fault

Christina Alonso gently strokes Champ's fur, her voice trembling with worry Erika's accident has made me realize how precious life is. I won't waste any more time being afraid. It's time to seize every moment and live life to the fullest.
"Chris," Jim sits next to her, "Erika's gonna be okay. Your cpr saved her," he smiles as he places a hand on your shoulder. "I get that you're scared, but she's okay. We can go and see her in a few minutes."
Christina Alonso looks up at Jim with a mixture of relief and determination "Thank you, Jim. You're right, I need to focus on Erika's recovery more than the fact that she nearly died."
"You know, Erika needs you right now, more than anything," Jim whispers.
Nodding, Christina's eyes glisten with unshed tears, "I know, Jim. But it's my fault. Swat doesn't lose officers."
"We haven't lost an officer Chris, Erika's still with us."
Christina Alonso takes a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves "I know, Jim. It's just... it was so close. I could feel her heart stop beating in my hands. It was terrifying." She wipes away a tear that escapes her eye.
"I know. I've never seen you so scared," Jim nods as Champ climbs up onto Chris' lap.
"It's funny, in all the chaos and fear, Champ stayed by my side. He's always been my rock, even when I can't be strong for myself. Erika doesn't deserve me as a friend. It's my fault she nearly died. I couldn't save her."
"You remember when you though that you were gonna lost Champ to his cancer?" Jim asks, reaching over to stroke Champ as well.
Christina Alonso nods slowly, her voice trembling "Yeah. I remember. But it was so different with Erika. She trusted me, and I couldn't save her."
"You did save her though Chris. Just like you saved Champ. Sure they were different circumstances, but you saved both of them. You paid for Champ to get recovery and you gave Erika CPR so she could live," Jim shakes his head.
"I guess you're right, Jim. I just... I feel so helpless. I want to protect her, but I can't even protect myself from these thoughts." She sighs deeply, her shoulders slumping under the weight of guilt and responsibility.
"You don't need to protect her. She can protect herself. You just need to help her, to reassure her that you're here. Chris, look at me."
Christina Alonso looks up at Jim, her eyes brimming with unshed tears "What is it?"
"Those thoughts don't define you. The fact that you nearly lost Erika and Champ doesn't define you. The fact that you saved both of them and you haven't given up on them, that defines you," Jim moves closer to her and wraps his arm around her shoulder. "They both still trust you, and I promise you they will always trust you."
nods slowly, tears streaming down her face "You're right, Jim. I just... I don't know how to make it stop feeling like everything is slipping through my fingers."
"Erika's near death was not your fault. It was the man who tried to kill her," Jim whispers gently.
I know that, Jim. It's just... it's hard not to feel responsible. I should have been more careful, more aware of the danger."
"Chris, none of us expected it to happen. The bullet bounced off of Tan and hit Erika, none of us could have predicted that. Okay? It was not your fault."
Chris wipes her tears away, trying to regain her composure "You're right, Jim. I'm sorry for unloading all of this on you. I'll try to move past these thoughts and focus on what really matters – keeping Erika and Champ safe."
"And keeping yourself safe. That's important. And plus, haven't I already told you that I'm your person sound board? You know you can unload on me whenever," Jim smiles.
"Thank you, Jim. I appreciate that. And I promise to remember that. You're a good friend, and I don't know what I'd do without you." She smiles softly, trying to return some of the warmth he's showing her.
"Now, let's go see Erika," Jim says, gently nudging Champ off of Chris' lap as he helps her stand up.
"Alright, let's go," Christina agrees, her voice slightly shaky but determined. She takes a deep breath, squaring her shoulders as they prepare to face the reality of Erika's condition together.
Jim opens the door to Erika's hospital room. "Here she is," he whispers as Erika looks up. A smile spreads on her face as she sees Champ and Chris. "Chris," she mutters out.
Steeling herself, Christina walks into the room, her heart pounding. She looks at Erika, her friend, and then down at Champ. "Hey, Erika," she says softly, trying to maintain her composure. "We're here now. Together."
"I'm so proud of you Chris. You know I don't blame you for the fact that I nearly died, right?" Erika whispers.
"Erika, of course not," Christina replies, her voice shaking slightly. She takes a step closer to Erika's bedside, her gaze meeting Erika's.
"Chris, you're the most important person in my life right now. You've helped me so much and I appreciate you for helping me make S.W.A.T. you're so amazing," Erika laughs out.
You make me sound like a hero, but I'm just trying to do my job and be there for you. And I promise, no matter what happens, I'll always be here for you, Erika."
"You are a hero Chris. You're my hero," Erika smiles.
Christina blushes slightly at Erika's words, her eyes filling with emotion. She reaches out to gently squeeze Erika's hand, her other hand finding comfort in holding onto Champ's leash.
"You know, I realised how short life can be. And I realise that you shouldn't be too afraid to take risks. Chris, come here," Erika motions for her to lean in.
Taking a deep breath, Christina moves closer to Erika's side, her heart pounding with anticipation. She leans in slightly, her eyes meeting Erika's once more.
"I reckon you should take the risk Chris. Ask him out," Erika whispers.
Christina's heart skips a beat at Erika's words. She looks away, her face flushing red. She hadn't expected this kind of advice from her friend. After a moment of hesitation, she turns back to Erika. "What if he says no?"
"Trust me, he won't," Erika laughs.
"Erika, I've been thinking about it... and I'm going to do it. I'm going to take the risk and ask him out. I just need you to promise me something."
"What is it Chris?"
"Promise me that you'll be here, with me, no matter what happens."
"You know damn well I will," Erika laughs.
"Thank you, Erika. Your support means everything to me." With a deep breath, she turns towards the door, mustering up all the courage she can find. "I'll be right back."
"I'll be waiting here, I can't go anywhere else," Erika jokes as you leave.
"I'll be right back," she repeats, trying to sound confident even though she's anything but. As she walks out of the room, she can feel the weight of her emotions pressing down on her.
Jim looks up from his seat as he sees Chris approach him.
"Hey Jim," she says, her voice slightly shaky. "I need to ask you something."
"Anything Chris, you can ask me anything," Jim smiles warmly.
Feeling a wave of nervousness wash over her, Christina takes a deep breath. "Would you like to go out with me?" She blurts out, her heart pounding in her chest.
"What happend to us not being able to date because we're on the same team?" Jim smirks.
"I... I changed my mind," Christina stammers, her cheeks flushing red. "I want to give it a chance."
"Good, I want to aswell," Jim whispers as he stands up and holds your hands.
"Really? You do?"
"Chris, be real. I've been trying to date you for four years, of course I do want to," Jim kisses her hand.
"Oh..." She feels her heart skip a beat as he kisses her hand. "Thank you, Jim."
"Are we gonna have to keep it undercover though? I can transfer teams if you want?"
"No, I... I don't want to keep it a secret. I've had enough of that. I want to be able to share this with everyone, including Erika."
"Of course baby. But I'll have to swap teams, so we can be together properly,"
"I understand, Jim. I'd rather have us both happy and together, even if it means changing teams." She smiles softly, feeling a mix of nervousness and excitement about their newfound openness.
"I'll put in my transfer request tomorrow morning, and we can sign that dating form tomorrow as well," Jim smiled wider.
"Thank you, Jim. I can't wait for what's to come." She leans in and kisses him gently on the lips, feeling a sense of relief and joy wash over her.
Jim returns the kiss, pulling away with a smile.