Chapter XIII: One Step Forward and Two Steps Back (Part Cambrian)

Sleep was overrated. Dan thought that to himself while he tossed and turned in bed that night, trying to figure out why on Earth he opened his big mouth and agreed to do the PPMC Project. Most likely, Ben wouldn't keep his promise to spend more time with him, and that ticked Dan off. Nevertheless, even though he was mad and feared for his life, traveling to prehistoric times still intrigued him. What would he see if he survived the black hole?

"Argh, this stinks!" Dan yelled, sitting and grabbing his aching head. He rubbed his temples and picked up the PPMC Gauntlet on the dresser beside his bed. Dan coughed and turned it on. At least he didn't forget how like dear old Betsey.

"Welcome, Dan," repeated the machine. "You currently are in the Quaternary Period, Holocene Epoch, 3023."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Dan said, looking over the buttons.

"The 3000s are known for their vast, high-tech cities, artificial intelligence, and robots," the gauntlet added. "The dominant life forms are human beings."

Dan coughed again. "For the love of Pete, gauntlet! Shut up! Put me through to PPMC." Perhaps it wasn't too late to call out of the mission. He crossed his fingers and waited for the gauntlet's response, but Dan didn't get the one he wanted.

"I'm sorry, but PPMC has shut down for the night and will resume normal operations in the morning."

"Snap!" Dan muttered. He would've said the other word, but he wasn't much of a swearer, unlike his dad, who swore constantly. Well, he was in the Navy before he became an astronaut. Whatever. Dan should've seen this coming. He was locked into the PPMC Project because he couldn't keep his trap shut. He might as well stay up all night and enjoy his last few days alive. Which part of his body would the black hole spaghettify first? Probably his arms. And then his legs. Then—

Dan suffered from another coughing fit. The pain in his chest accelerated, and for a brief moment, he couldn't breathe. Stupid cold. It looked like he was stuck with it for another week.

Dan's breaths returned. He plopped back down and hugged his pillow close, sniffing. Why was he so conflicted? What happened to his urge for a hook up with Molly? It was times like those he regretted his love for paleontology.

Although he had no idea how he managed to, Dan fell asleep and woke to Ben announcing, "Wake up, Dan! Today's the day!"

Oh, heck no.

Ben threw himself onto Dan's bed. He wrapped one arm around his neck and gave him a knuckle rub. "Today's the day! Today's the day! You're blasting off in T-minus three and a half hours!"

"Dad, what are you talking about?" Dan groggily asked.

"The PPMC Project! The PPMC Project!" Ben chucked Dan's adventure uniform into his face and jumped off the bed. "We're meeting with Chenoa in the lobby at 7:15, so hike on!"

Ben's excitement was unbearable. Dan had never seen an adult so ready to get rid of their kid. He kept a low profile but screamed on the inside while robotic hands helped him change.

They fluffed Dan's hair and snapped the gauntlet onto his left forearm. He would miss the self-serving dressing stations. PPMC didn't have one, unfortunately.

Dan joined Ben in the hotel's common area. They sat at a small table in front of their breakfast: Southern-style eggs, sausages, and grits. Dan ate silently, but Ben merely stared at him, coffee cup in hand and a smile on his dumb face. Dan started to think he was the only one still grieving Becca. Not only that, but everyone thought they could replace her—even Ben.

"Now, Dan," he stated, "you need to make sure you eat everything on your plate, including the fruit." His smile grew. "You're growing and need a lot of energy to survive a black hole."

Dan scoffed. He wasn't five years old.

Ben shut his eyes and squeezed his cup. "I was skinny when I was your age, too, but my mother beefed me up." He chuckled. "Before you know it, son, all those senior girls will want a one-night stand with you."

Dan slammed his silverware down on his plate and stood. "May I be excused, please?" he yelled. His face burned, and he hurried to wash his dishes.

"We've not a minute to lose, Dan!" Ben called. "Chenoa's waiting."

Dan didn't mind being late. He smirked and slowed down his cleaning process.

Ben must've sensed he was doing that intentionally because an F&B (Food and Beverage) Android appeared next to Dan and took over for him. "Analyzing situation," it said, scanning each plate and cup in the sink. "Decision: will take too long to clean everything. Chenoa impatient. Time for you to go."

Dang, Dan almost missed PPMC's non-robotic voice. He backed away from the sink and tried to push the android aside.

It returned his force. "Chenoa impatient. Time for you to go."

At that point, Dan had no choice but to comply with Ben and Chenoa's heinousness.