Chapter IV: Are People Keeping Secrets?

On his way to Titanic Park, Dan played with Betsey. He pressed buttons to see what they did. One turned her upside-down, and he gasped. "Wicked!" Dan switched to right-side up and pulled into Lot A of Titanic Park. He parked under a large pine and punched another button.

At his command, three wheels popped out of Betsey—two in the back, one in the front—and hit the cement.

"Even cooler!" Dan declared, hearing them.

A coughing fit found its way into his good mood and lasted for a minute. His chest burned, and he rested his forehead on the steering wheel. "Whoa, what the heck?" Dan asked, pushing off the wheel. He rubbed his eye and opened Betsey's door. "That was weird." He never had a fit like that with his colds. Regardless, it was nothing a little cough syrup couldn't fix. Dan could take some when he went home. Right now, he had to find Molly.

Once outside, he said, "Betsey, lock!" and she obeyed. His cheerful mood returned, and his legs jiggled under him.

Dan found the sidewalk. The one off Lot A circled the stage, children's park, and soccer field. Young couples sat on blankets and enjoyed a picnic, and Dan searched for Molly.

He tired himself out and took a minute to catch his breath. Okay, he was starting to think he was a little sicker than initially perceived, but as long as Dan didn't drop dead, he'd be fine. It wasn't like his father noticed or cared if he did.

He reached a sharp turn on the trail, and his eyes widened because Molly appeared from out of nowhere.

Dan swerved to avoid her but tripped over his foot and smashed into a bush.

"Dan!" Molly yelped.

Branches and twigs scratched Dan's face, and he kicked his legs. "Help! Get me out of here!"

"I've got you, dude!" Molly grabbed him and tugged.

Dan thought she would rip his pants off, and ho, ho! The dirty thoughts were enough to make his head spin. It didn't help when Molly released him, and Dan landed on her. He chuckled, but Molly shoved him off.

"What are you doing here, Dan?" she inquired, standing and brushing herself down. "Shouldn't you be on your way to the space center?"

Wait, what? She did not just say what Dan thought she did, but he asked anyway. "Space center? What are you—?"

"Wait, did I say 'space center'?" Molly interrupted. "I mean, don't you have a lawn to mow?"

"Ha!" Dan's mind returned to Betsey. "Well, I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I got a car for my birthday. I drove her here."

"Huh?" Molly almost shouted that. "You got a car for your seventeenth birthday?" Jealousy and denial slipped off her tongue. "Oh, Danny Boy—that's incredible! Mom won't let me have a car until I graduate! I envy you!"

Mom. Molly said, "Mom". At once, Dan's smile vanished. He groaned and lowered his head. A shadow covered his face.

"Oh my gosh, Dan! I'm so sorry!" Molly tried apologizing. He said nothing, so she changed the subject. "You know, we haven't had our Portals and Aliens session today. Maybe you could... um... give me a ride?"

Dan looked up and smiled feebly. "You don't have to try so hard, Molly. It's okay. I could use some company."

"Awesome!" Molly snatched his arm and lugged him down the sidewalk. "Let's go! Show me the car! Please show me the car!"

"Molly, slow down!" Dan begged, tumbling out of her grasp and landing on the sidewalk.

"Danny Boy!" Molly snatched his collar and pulled him up. She brought his face close to hers. "I need to see that car before you blast off into space and travel through a wormhole!"