xviii. beginning of the end

❝WHEN ALL EYES ARE ON ME, I PUT ON A SMILE FOR THE WORLD TO SEE❞

𓆩⟡𓆪

HER FINGERS GLIDED along the hem of her red Academy jacket, smoothing the crinkles. Heart heart pounded in her chest as she marched up the steps, eyeing the Peacekeepers guarding the broad doors with distaste before she entered.

Whispers followed her upon arrival, many eyes from fellow Academy students drifting towards her. Dolores ignored them all, weaving her way through the crowd and straight to a mentor's seat at the front without any care of the world. "Good morning."

Sejanus quickly mirrored her smile, though it was more of a slight quirk of his lips. "Good morning, Dolly." He fidgeted severely as he stood there, his legs to shaky to go without support but at the same time, extremely hesitant to take a seat.

"Don't be so tense," she patted his shoulder, "...your tribute managed to get away, didn't he?"

"They're hunting him in the streets, Dolly."

Of course. The news was everywhere, warning Capitol citizens of the horrible tribute wild on the streets. Marcus just wanted to live. "The rumor..." she started slowly, trailing off, "is it true?"

He tensed, slightly wincing, "what rumor do you refer to?"

"That your father... bought Marcus for you?"

At the question, his eyes turned glossy again and he swallowed thickly to keep his voice steady, "he rigged it and purposefully assigned him to me to teach me a lesson. That the Districts aren't worth my sympathy and neither do they want it."

Dolores raised an eyebrow, "And have you learned your lesson? Or have you recognized that Strabo Plinth does that out of fear?" Upon his silence, she switched the conversation, "Marcus seemed strong. If anyone can survive that long after escaping the arena, it's him." Better that he ran anyway. After all, Dr. Gaul wasn't ever planning to have a victor this year.

She had chosen not to question the amount of deaths and lies that must be made for the Plinth Prize to safely land in her hands. Dr. Gaul had dismissed her with a typical "I'll handle it." Was it ethical? To destroy the progress of her competitors in an unfair circumstance? Of course not. But then again, she was never one to question morality.

The odds were never in her favor. Never in anyone's favor.

Coriolanus... surely he would hate her. But for what? The brutal murder of Clemensia Dovecote or making a deal with Dr. Gaul? Of course he valued the Plinth Prize over her... right? Dolores' stomach flipped at the thought as she struggled to hide her displeasure with a monotonous smile. Her finger tapped against the top of her chair impatiently.

She eyed the entrance expectantly, almost to predict his arrival at any moment. Just as expected, Coriolanus Snow emerged, his crimson uniform pressed as always, his silver blonde hair perfect in place. He walked with a slight limp and held a dispassionate face. Still, Dolores couldn't keep her lips from lifting at the sight of him.

They hadn't spoken since the night before, yet he perfectly masked any sort of emotion on his face with a bland smile, offering a small wave as he approached, "Dolly. Sejanus."

"Somebody finally decided to hop out of bed," Sejanus grinned.

"Not as bad as it looks like," Coriolanus turned to Sejanus, draping an arm on him as the two posed for a photographer before sighing, "The doctor's said the limp is only temporary." His eyes lingered a second longer on Dolores causing her to shift her feet uneasily, "You look better."