viii. thick of blood

❝EVERYTHING REQUIRES SACRIFICE, DOES IT NOT?❞

𓆩⟡𓆪

"I MUST ADMIT... your plan was quite brilliant."

Dolores blinked twice, barely catching the words that came out of his mouth. "What did you just say?" She struggled to refrain from smiling. Oh his compliment was simply too rare to let go and too satisfying to ignore.

"I said that despite the towering odds of failure, it was brilliant," Coriolanus sighed, not bothering to argue anymore as he helped her down the other side of the fence after Otto gave her a little boost. "The audience loved it. I think... you just earned a lot of points in terms of empathy for both our tributes," he whispered in her ear, tugging her close before stepping back. "Thank you, Imber."

She stood there, paralyzed as she comprehended his words. Did I just hear a 'thank you' from the one and only Coriolanus Snow? "I mainly did it for Otto. I did everything, by the way. After you put me on the spot to become both the entertainer and the entertainment," she turned away, huffing as she attempted to brush the dirt off the skirt of her blazing red Academy uniform. "Your little songbird just has a lovely voice."

"You couldn't have done that without me," he scoffed, returning to his previous attitude.

"But you still owe me," Dolores flicked at him. She started walking away after bidding Otto farewell before she went pale. "And... now is a good time for me to use that favor." She retraced her steps until her back was against his chest, her eyes widening as she identified the approacher. She could feel Coriolanus's heart thumping heavily in her position and she almost froze completely.

"Now? I hardly think–" Coriolanus placed both hands on her hips to steady her, sending a jolt through her body. He was quickly cut short by the appearance of Felix Ravinstill. "I see," his blue eyes narrowed.

"Dolly," The President's grandnephew beamed, his white pearly teeth gleaming, "I enjoyed your performance there. It was quite clever of you... as always."

"Save your flattery for someone else," Dolores snapped, trying not to be too distracted by how close she was standing with Coriolanus, "I was just on my way out of the zoo. If you don't mind, I will leave now to finish the proposal which the class has so graciously elected me to do." Sarcasm dripped from her bare voice.

"On your way out of the zoo..." Felix repeated her words slowly, his eyes darting between her and Snow. He straightened his back, smiling with a hidden meaning that made her skin crawl, "Why don't you accompany me for a little, Dolly? I was wondering if–"

Dolores hated it when he called her 'Dolly', like she was some kind of doll that would play along with his tune. Ever since her first year at the Academy, Felix Ravinstill had been bothering her nonstop, toying with her and stealing bits and bits of her precious time. How damn long will it take you to take a bloody hint?

She didn't give a damn that he was the President's grandnephew or if he offered her a more than perfect job using his connections. He was dead wrong if he thought that she would cave over bribery. Even in poverty over the loss of her parents and the constant teachings she endured from Dean Highbottom and Dr. Gaul, Dolores would never let go of her pride and her honor.

"She said 'no', Felix," Coriolanus cut in. His grip on her tightened, preventing Dolores from even stepping away. Her heart pounded in her chest, though nothing could compare to the tempo his heart was beating. The heart that was pressed tightly to her back. Aren't you afraid that I'd stab you? She couldn't help but wonder this absurd thought.