Chapter Eight

October

In the hills and valleys that seem to comprise their relationship, things have once smoothed out between them, but Emily's not sure she can trust it. She's weary of getting her hopes up that Austin will come to care for her, perhaps even love her, only to have them dashed again.

Emily has no idea if Aaron is still in town. If he is, he does not accompany the Martins to church on Sunday. It doesn't matter anyway; Emily will be only too happy never to see the man again. It has left this rift between Austin and her that Emily worries can never be fully mended. Emily feels they had been on the path to becoming really close and now they are back to being cordial strangers that make small talk over dinner.

But things are good right now and there is no sense in borrowing trouble by wanting more than she can have. The days are getting shorter, all of the vegetables have been picked and the garden plowed over until next year. The canning, with Kathryn's help, has been completed. Emily is meeting with Kathryn and whoever she brings with her twice a week now. Kathryn is in danger of outgrowing what Emily has to teach her. Kathryn even borrowed one of her Dicken's books the other day. She's fascinated by all the worlds that are open to her now that she is able to read.

Emily has more time to read now, even with the days becoming shorter. It's nice to cuddle up with the girls in bed, as Mary plays with Henry, who is becoming more ragged with every passing day, and Eliza reads from one of the books of fairy tales. Emily wishes she had more books for her to read, but she's quite a few years from being able to read Dickens or even Jane Austen.

It's a quiet day, the morning passing as most of their mornings do, as Emily and Austin take care of their little family, each in their own way. Austin is out in the back of the pigpen butchering one of the pigs. He's been out there for a while, so Emily imagines he's close to being finished. Having meat to last all winter will be a blessing.

Emily's in the kitchen, scrubbing the pot they used for their noon-day meal clean, when Eliza comes into the kitchen. "I don't think Mary feels too good, Mama."

Mary hadn't eaten much today, but that's not unusual for her. She tends to just eat when she's hungry and oftentimes leaves her plate more than half full. Kathryn says she'll eat what she needs to and not to make a fuss about it, so Emily doesn't. But now she thinks maybe Mary ate even less than usual.

She should have noticed.

Emily goes into their bedroom to find Mary curled up in bed. She's got Henry in her arms, but she's not playing with the doll.

"How are you feeling, sweetheart?"

"I hurt," Mary murmurs.

Mary still speaks with a bit of a lisp, but she's gotten much better at speaking since Emily has known her, so much better that Emily barely notices the lisp anymore. But now, her words are slurred.

Emily puts her hand against Mary's forehead. She's burning up with fever.

"Eliza, please bring me a glass of water from the bucket in the kitchen. And one of the rags that I keep by the stove."

"Yes, Mama."

Emily has no idea how to bring down a fever this high. She needs Austin, but she doesn't want to send Eliza out to get him if he's still butchering the pig. There are things Eliza will have to see eventually, harsh things that are a fact of life out here on the farm, but Emily wants to protect her for as long as she can.

Eliza comes in with a rag and a glass of water.

"Here, try to drink a little," Emily says, helping Mary sit up. She's listless, her eyes unfocused. Emily's heart feels it's been squeezed tightly. She can't remember the last time she felt so scared, or so helpless.