Interlude VI: Gifts

"Alright everyone, now pair up and practice your Protects!"

c'mere Grace

hey where'd he go

The Serperior's instruction had the band of kids shuffle around the snowy clearing. Most of them immediately dashed to their best friends—or at least the peers they perceived as such. Cadence tried to spot one of the few faces she usually did these exercises with. Ember wasn't around, hardly a surprise; neither were Blossom nor Zephyr, much more unusual; Elric... had just paired up with someone else.

is she just gonna stand there like that

can she not find anyone?

In just a few moments, the task of finding a sparring partner had turned from searching for her favorites, to trying to spot the other unpaired person—or shuffling over to their teacher should she not find any. Not this time, thankfully. The fairy got spared that embarrassment, eagerly waving towards the similarly confused Gloom, taking them out of idly looking around the scene.

...suppose I can do it with her

The ambient thoughts surrounding her felt so much starker than usual. It was unpleasant, and Cadence could only speculate about why they were so noticeable today. Could it be nerves from yesterday? Both about meeting Anne and then from chatting with her about their insecurities? Could it be her cruddy sleep tonight—or not just hers, judging by her mom having woken up so early it stirred her out of her sleep too? Could be the brief flashes of something morbid she saw in her dreams before waking—

...is she gonna do anything or just stare at the snow

Right.

With a deep breath, Cadence looked up at her classmate before firmly nodding to signal her readiness. She had to focus. The fairy's eyes lit up dimly as the air shimmered around her horns. Singular Razor Leaves were hardly dangerous, but they would still hurt if she slipped up.

This was easy; she could do this; bring it on!

why does she always look so weird when doing this

wonder if she's digging into someone's thoughts

None of these phased her anymore; she was stronger than this. Mom had told her many times she would hear unwanted thoughts like that as her senses keened over the years, and that a part of growing up as a psychic was learning to filter them out. She was strong; she didn't need everyone to like her; others' uninformed opinions were their problem and not hers.

...hope she notices this one, haha

None of these should've been phasing her anymore.

With a whip-like motion, Mint sent just a couple of bright green leaves flying, slower than they'd ever be in any actual exchange of blows. Cadence didn't need that handicap, forming the shimmering barrier a good few seconds before the projectiles connected and shattered. And then a second time, a few moments later. And again, and again, the move so ingrained she barely had to think to use it anymore.

she looks cool like this

man this is boring

...I wanna do attacks

Cadence didn't know the exact reason for Mrs. Cinder having been absent these past couple of days, beyond it having something to do with Ember and Anne. She didn't want to speculate—that would've been rude—settling on just being glad that her other teacher was taking her break. There was nothing pleasant about practicing attacks, and even though mom had told her many times that defense was toothless without offense, the tidbit had a hard time really sticking in her mind.