7. Crescent

"Where is this place? We've been walking for so long, and we're still in the middle of nowhere," Cleo questioned, growing restless of the journey towards a mystery location that Drew hadn't said much at all about. "We're basically there. We're going to a valley where there are only rocks and sand. It's perfect for me because my powers are rock-based, but it's also useful for you because you can let loose. Freeze what you want; nobody is going to have to deal with it," he explained.

They finally reached their destination, a desolate, deserted quarry full of rocks in strange formations. "This place is... well-worn, to say the least," Drew quipped. A rumbling sound started suddenly as a rock pillar was erected in front of Cleo. "Alright, show me what you can do," asked Drew. Cleo sized up the stone; it was thin and about as tall as her. She exhaled as she thought back to the previous times that she had showcased her power.

"I don't think I can do it..." Cleo was worried about how inconsistent things have been before. "Of course you can. You've done it before. You can take your time," he reassured. Cleo took a deep breath before striking at the rock. She chilled the rock, but it wasn't very strong. She struck again, desperate not to fail. The air around the rock chilled rapidly, encasing it in ice. Cleo was relieved that she was able to pull it off.

"Well done. Try not to let it get to you; you're learning. Is there a pattern you notice for what works and doesn't work? Maybe you need two attempts each time?" Drew questioned. "No, it isn't that. The first time, with the punching bag, I only needed one. It's more like... it only works when I'm frustrated," Cleo answered. She thought back to each time and the dread she felt about letting control of her own power slip.

"The thought of what I've always wanted being so tantalisingly close... it's so cold," she continued. "Maybe that's something you have to channel, then," Drew suggested. "To be honest, I don't really know what I channel when I use my rock abilities. It's just always been there, I guess," admitted Drew. "Channel my frustration?" Cleo asked, confused. "Yeah. I mean, it sounds complicated, but it's not. You just need to remind yourself of the frustration before you use it," answered Drew.

"Wouldn't I just be angry all the time?" asked Cleo. "Not all the time, but just while you need your power, I guess. That doesn't seem so bad," Drew responded, calmly rationalising. "It still feels like I'm missing something, though, if you don't have to go through a whole process to use your power." Cleo replied. "Well, maybe you are missing something. You'll find it, though. Now, enough about that. If you want to be able to use your power effectively, you'll need to be able to do more than just freeze what's in front of you." Drew stated.

Cleo raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" she queried. "If you want to be accurate, you're going to have to know how to miss. I know people who have never bothered to train accuracy, disregarding the collateral damage. I would be thoroughly ashamed if you were that lazy," he told Cleo, making her a little nervous. Drew put his palm to the ground, and he pulled his arm back as a rock stuck to his opened hand, as if magnetically.

He aimed his palm towards the wall. The rock split, and little shards were fired into the frozen pillar that was in front of them. Drew wasn't the least bit surprised while he watched the shards fly. "I missed everything that was inside that circle. Obviously, this was me showing off, somewhat, but you get the point," Drew admitted. "No kidding. I don't even know how to make solid objects like that. Honestly, my eyes have been closed each time I've used my power," Cleo responded.

"Well, that I can teach you. I suppose you would just need to compress the ice-cold air that you can create into, well, ice." "Huh." Cleo acknowledged. She put her hands together, leaving some room for air, and channelled her mind towards lowering the temperature. The moisture in the air started to change form as Cleo pulled it below zero.

A round ice shape was created, an awkward-looking projectile made from the space between her hands. "This looks ugly," Cleo commented. "Try a more aerodynamic shape, maybe. You just need to practice freezing what you want... and missing what you want," Drew advised, referencing his former quote. "And make it sharp."

Cleo traced a curved shape along the palm of her hand, dragging a jagged chill across in a C-shape. A pointy projectile was produced within her palm, which she was proud to possess. "Now this is dangerous," Cleo bragged. "Now get it in the middle of that rock circle," Drew requested. "What?" Cleo asked, exasperated. She had only just learned how to create a projectile, let alone accurately launch one.

"I don't know even how to move it!" she complained. "You'll learn; trust me. We'll come back here again, and by the end of the week, I want you to be able to do it," Drew replied, announcing his high expectations. "But-" "If I didn't have high expectations for you, then I wouldn't be taking the time to do any of this. I believe in you, sis," Drew interrupted. Cleo felt inspired by his words.

"You know what? You're damn right. I will be able to do this. I'll be able to hit or miss what I want before going into that mission and kicking ass!" Cleo confidently stated, excited for what was to come. Drew smiled proudly, knowing that his sister was right. "Until then, practice creating projectiles. That looks more like a moon than a weapon," joked Drew, before her first vigorous day of practice started. She got to work honing her skills, creating crystalline ice weaponry.