twenty-one: disappearing act

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter twenty-one
DISAPPEARING ACT
Harmony Falls , 1958 ▂▂▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter twenty-one DISAPPEARING ACT Harmony Falls , 1958 ▂▂▂▂▂

❝we're in 1958, looking for savage, and jefferson is missing.❞

"RAYMOND! ELLE!" EXCLAIMED Kendra, successfully cutting off both their muttered remarks of bewilderment as well as drowning out the surprise from seeing Vandal Savage casually standing beside a woman with a casserole dish in his hand at their front door. "These are our new neighbors, Curtis and Gail."

The hawk goddess gestured to Savage and the woman beside him, glancing between her fake husband and Elle, praying that neither of the two would do something to provoke Savage. It didn't seem he was here with ill intentions right now, but that, indeed, could change.

"Oh, lovely!" Elle gushed, speaking way too brightly for it to be considered normal for her, but in this case, it worked. Her eyes were still wide as they danced between the husband and wife.

"What a surprise. Tuna surprise. So many surprises—" Ray grunted as he was met with a stomp on his foot at his rambling from the Anders girl beside him.

"Well, another reason why we dropped by was to let you know that we are having a soirée tonight," informed Savage — or Curtis, in this case — with a smile that appeared nothing but genuine.

"Stop by anytime after eight. We're just across the street. Don't bother to ring the doorbell," Gail said. Elle wondered if she knew she was married to an immortal psychopath.

"No, you just walk right on in." Savage took a step forward, and Elle had to fight the urge to do the opposite as he handed Ray the casserole dish. "It's that kind of neighborhood."

"Well, thank you," Kendra smiled politely at the couple. "We will certainly think about joining you."

"We hope to see you there!" Gail enthused before she turned heel and began to walk away, but Savage stayed put, eyeing Kendra for no longer than a second before following after his wife.

Swiftly, Elle reached for the door and closed it, and then she felt she could let out a breath of air even though now she had to sit with the thought that Vandal Savage was just across the street. The Anders girl pressed her front against the door and stood on her tiptoes, peeking through the little glass window in the door. She watched Savage and his wife enter their house before spinning and pressing her back against the door and allowing a sigh of relief to leave her lips as she looked between Kendra and Ray, equally relieved to end the absurd encounter with Savage.

"Okay, what the hell was that?" Elle asked, yet no answer could be given from anyone as to what just happened.

Kendra shook her head in an attempt to collect herself. "I don't know, but we have to tell Rip we know where Savage is."