Chapter 9

"So, Jennie, tell me, how excited are you for college?" asked Aunt Claire.

Aunt Claire's heavy makeup was always apparent. She was in her mid-forties but dressed as if she were still in her mid-twenties. She took care of herself, evident from her small waist even after having two children. She loved gossip, and loved to converse with any young person she could find that would collaborate.

"I'm looking forward to it," replied Jennie with hesitation.

"Aren't you so excited to meet new girls?" asked Aunt Claire with a big grin, posing another question before Jennie had the opportunity to answer the first. "And don't forget about all those hunks who are studying to become doctors!"

"Mom!" appalled Sarah. "Jennie isn't going to change, she's still going to be the Jennie we know and love."

"I'm just curious, I went to college too. The boys are plentiful and willing, that's all I'll say," she added.

"Mom, that is not something I want to know about," commented Sarah with sternness.

"Whether you know now or later, you'll find out when you go to college next year, my dear," she added.

Sarah made a face of disgust.

"I'm not sure what college will be like," chimed Jennie, feeling discomfort between her Aunt Claire and Sarah. "I'm guessing it won't be much different than high school-except that I'll have much more school work and much more distractions than I do now. But I would think that I could block out those distractions, too. I did okay in that during high school."

"Oh, Jennie," sighed Aunt Claire. "You are so predictable and goody-two-shoed. Distractions are much more distracting when no one is there to police anything. You'll have a roommate, whom you have no idea about, that is going to invite you to a frat party on a Tuesday night. You'll consider going because you only have two classes the next morning, but you won't go with her when she goes. You'll decline the invitation, stay in your dorm room and read your assigned chapters. Then it will be ten o'clock and you'll reconsider going to the party. You'll think about it for a few minutes, weigh the pros and cons of each decision. You'll convince yourself that you'll only go for an hour or two and you won't drink anything. So you'll put on that dress that you were not confident enough to wear in high school and you'll go to that party. Then you and your roommate will talk all night and bond. Meanwhile, you'll be drinking more and more and not realize what time it is or be thinking about tomorrow's responsibility. You'll come out of your shell, Jennie, and you'll learn a lot because of that."

"Jennie will not go out on a Tuesday, mom!" laughed Sarah. "You think she's going to turn into some party girl or something?"

"Absolutely not!" replied Aunt Claire. "But everyone goes out to meet new people, especially at first. You have to solidify a network of friends. And you have to get to know your roommate-there's no better way to get to know your roommate than to go out and drink with her! She'll share all of her own worries and invite you to share your own worries, too."

"I guess I don't know who my roommate is, so I wouldn't rule that out," commented Jennie. "But I find it hard to believe I'll be much different than I've been my whole life-who knows? Maybe I will turn into a party girl."

"Ha!" laughed Sarah. "Have you ever drunk alcohol before?"

"Not in large quantities," admitted Jennie. "I had a Bailey's chocolate truffle once-it was pretty disgusting, I might add."

"There is not way you'll become a college partier, no way!" shouted Sarah. "But that's okay, I don't think I will either. When I join you next year, I'll be your roommate. We can study, watch movies, and talk about celebrities we'll never talk to in our entire lives!"

"Now that sounds like something you two would do," jokingly added Aunt Claire with a pleasant smile.

"And I'm not ashamed at admitting that," replied Sarah. "I do the things I enjoy doing. Jennie might not enjoy the gossip as much, but that's how I get her nose out of a book and keep her in the loop."

"Gossip is not usually on the daily schedule, but I will credit you for keeping me up to date on what's happening in Hollywood. I love movies so I'm perfectly content with staying up late to watch a good flick," said Jennie excitedly. "You better be studious this year so you can join me at university!"

"You two are so cute together," exclaimed Aunt Claire. "But you will both try new things you've never thought about doing before once you get there. I just hope you two keep in touch and continue your relationship, no matter the circumstances."

"Oh, we will," promised Sarah. "Jennie and I are

best friends."