Chapter 1: The Deveraux Dinner

Luna

Tucking my Kindle under the table, I try to lose myself in a romance novel, a stark contrast to the reality of the Deveraux dining room. The walls, lined with gothic style portraits of our ancestors, seem to scrutinize us, their gazes as heavy as the conversation at hand.

My father, Lazarus, breaks the silence. "Tonight's ritual is a pivotal moment for our family. AS we all know, Aurora will continue the Deveraux legacy as she inherits Grandmother Solstice's powers."

Across from me sits Aurora, the picture of perfection with her loose curly brown hair and bright brown eyes, much like our mother, Celeste. She nods, her poise unshakable. "I understand the responsibility, Father. I'm ready."

Celeste smiles, pride evident in her eyes. "We couldn't be prouder, Aurora. Your hard work and dedication have brought us here."

Trying to focus on my book, I feel my father's disapproving gaze. I'm used to being the odd one out in this family tableau—Although my dark skin and tight, kinky curls echo that of my fathers and grandmothers, that's literally the ONLY thing I have in common with any of these people sitting at the table.

Grandmother Solstice, seated at the table's end, fixes me with a stern look dark look, I don't think I've ever had her approval. "Luna, girl! Put that device away. This is no time for daydreaming. You should be present for these discussions."

Reluctantly, I close my Kindle, meeting her gaze. "I know, Grandmother. It's just... this has always been Aurora's path, not mine. Nothing I say will really matter anyway..."

Aurora reaches across the table, her voice soothing yet firm. "Luna, this isn't just about me or the ritual. It's about our family, about all of us being together. You are a vampire slayer just like the rest of us. You have gifts that you need to learn to appreciate."

Lazarus nods in agreement. "Your sister is right. Unity is our strength, Luna. Your presence matters. You need to start taking your gifts seriously. We are not ordinary humans, we have a gift that we need to preserve. A duty to protect mankind from those bloodsucking sons of bitches."

I sighed, a mix of respect and gentle defiance in my eyes. "I'll be there," I promised, though I feel more like a spectator in their world.

My mothers hand finds mine, her touch comforting. "Luna, just being yourself is enough. Your strengths may be different from Aurora's, but they are just as important."

As dinner progresses, the talk turns to the ritual's finer details. I listen, my thoughts drifting between pride for my sister and relief that it's not me stepping into those huge shoes.

Maria, the witch who served our family, entered the room, her presence immediately altering the atmosphere. She was of medium height, with long, jet-black hair cascading over her shoulders, contrasting sharply with her pale skin. Her eyes, a striking shade of green, seemed to shimmer with an inner light, reflecting a depth of knowledge and power.

She moved with a fluid grace, her steps silent yet purposeful. Maria's attire was a blend of traditional and modern witch aesthetics – a flowing, dark dress that hinted at the arcane symbols embroidered along its hem, coupled with a contemporary, fitted bodice that accentuated her slender figure.

Her features were sharp yet beautiful, with high cheekbones and a straight, delicate nose. Her lips were a soft, natural pink, and when she spoke, it was with a voice that was both melodic and commanding.

As Maria leaned in to whisper to my father Lazarus, her expression was serious, her eyes locking onto his with an intensity that conveyed the urgency of her message. The subtle furrow in her brow and the slight downturn of her lips suggested that the news she brought was not only important but potentially ominous. Lazarus's reaction to her whisper, his composed demeanor shifting to one of concern, confirmed the gravity of her words.

My mother, Celeste, exchanges a worried glance with my grandmother Solstice, while Aurora remains poised and alert. I lean forward, my curiosity piqued by the sudden interruption.

Lazarus cleared his throat as he responded back to Maria in hushed tones. "Are you sure it's the same symptoms? Unable to drink water? Fever? And cold like symptoms?" He paused, his brow furrowing as he listened to the servant's whispered message.

Chills run down my spine as a sense of foreboding lingered in my heart—a feeling that tonight might just change my carefully laid plans in ways I never imagined.

My mother, Celeste, exchanges a concerned glance with my grandmother Solstice, while Aurora's poise remains unshaken. I lean forward, my curiosity piqued by the interruption.

Lazarus clears his throat and addresses us solemnly. "It appears that the Kirkwood family's daughter has fallen ill, and she won't be able to attend tonight's ritual. This is the third such case in recent weeks, all showing similar symptoms."

A heavy silence falls over the table as the gravity of his words sinks in. The Kirkwood's are another respected slayer family, and their absence from the ritual is unprecedented. It's never been done without all 10 slayer families being present in the last 800 years.

My mind drifts back to my dreams and visions that have been haunting me, and they are far from reassuring. Shadows, blood, and a sense of impending danger have been recurring themes, leaving me with a sense of impending doom that I can't shake. Slayers don't get sick like regular humankind; it's a part of our mutated DNA.

Aurora breaks the silence, her voice laced with determination. "We should investigate this, Father. Three slayer families affected by a mysterious illness can't be a coincidence. Do you think vamps have something to do with it?"

Lazarus shrugs but agrees. "You're right, Aurora. We must find out what's happening. But for now, we should proceed with tonight's ritual as planned. It's essential that we maintain our traditions and strength."

As they discuss their plans, my sense of unease deepens. Something is amiss in our world of vampires and slayers, and my dreams are becoming increasingly insistent. I can't help but feel that tonight's ritual will be the beginning of a series of events that will change everything for our family and for me.

Vote + comment please 🙏🏾