Chapter Two: Friends and Comfort

The Siblings in the Games

Chapter Two:
Friends and Comfort

When Phoenix Heron declared that she was going "to Tinker's," it was partially a lie. She meant more to the store instead of leading her mother and stepfather to believe she was go visit her best friend. Although she knew in the end she'd end up heading that way anyways.

Phoenix wandered around the town, searching desperately for any little thing she could work to fix. She adored the technological aspects of District Three. She could already fix wires and hardware. In the community, it was thought that she'd have a bright future as an inventor after she finished school.

That was if she finished school...

Phoenix shook her head to clear it. She couldn't think about that. Her name was only in three times. What were the odds of her getting picked with only three entries?

As Phoenix walked the road, she took in her surroundings all around her. The air felt nice and warm though there was a breeze. The sun was shining down comfortingly. The rubble underneath her feet crackled with each step. It operated as a sort of road till you reached the main part of town.

The thing about District Three is that it's larger than people think. They live towards the northern part of it, closer to where District Seven lies. District Three is where all technology, electronics, and even explosives are made (though the last bit they try to keep secret). The people of the district are generally well off. The Capital favors this district due to its profit. The children, on average, weren't starving and many people were genuinely happy. They even, sometimes, had careers though not as many as Districts One, Two, and Four.

District Three is also divided into different sections. In the sector where the Herons reside, it resembles a desert with its landscape with grass present every once and a while. Only some people traveled by bicycle or even old cars in this part of the city. Enoch worked at a technology plant as the highest IT project manager while Raven, Phoenix's mother, worked as a teacher at Blue's primary school. Money wasn't really short in their family, but they still remained in the small town instead of heading off for the big city of District Three that was farther south.

Blue kept begging to visit the capital city of District Three, but their parents always refused. The only time they ever headed over that way was for the reaping. With how much Charlotte fears it, the family couldn't move there until Charlotte was in the clear.

It was strange how all of the kid's nicknames were just abbreviations of their names except Blue's. Ben was short for Benjamin, Charlie for Charlotte, and Nix or Nixy for Phoenix, however, for Linnea it was Blue. It was Blue because when Linnea was a baby, she turned entirely Blue at the hospital. She was nearly dead. They didn't think she would live past two days. However, Blue was still alive to this day with the nickname after a younger Phoenix had peered through the hospital window and shouted, "Blue! Blue! Let's name her Blue!" She kept up the begging till Enoch finally relented and agreed to the grim nickname. It was an agreement that relaxed their relationship from Phoenix hating him to Phoenix tolerating him. Nowadays, Phoenix found herself happily talking to the man constantly one day then not wanting to breathe the same air as him the next.

The girl wandered the edge of street while cars strolled by and a bicycle occasionally passed. She was wandering nearly a mile to the main part of town to the store Tinker's to tinker herself.

Now, Phoenix has a friend named Tinker, but she wasn't really in the mood to visit the boy today. However, she always claims to visit him and instead sneaks off to town to go to this old store with an elderly owner to sit and work on whatever project he had for her, like the radio she had fixed that morning.