Chapter Five: A Heart Full of Farewells

The Siblings in the Games

Chapter Five:
A Heart Full of Farewells

Immediately following Phoenix and Benjamin's hurried corralling off of the stage, both were brought into separate rooms in a wing of the Justice Building. Both of their doors were guarded by armed Peacekeepers on the outside for if they attempted to escape it. Some tributes had tried to do so in the past, but to no avail as far as Phoenix knew.

Phoenix looked anxiously around the room. She sat on a lavish, velvet, maroon-colored couch with dark wooden detailing. There were two chairs facing the sofa on the other side of a decorative, dark-wooded table. There was a fireplace that was currently burning with a locked, decorated, black grating to avoid her from touching the fire inside. There weren't even any pokers to stir the fire beside the hearth. They really didn't want to take any chances. Long bookshelves filled the entirety of the fire place wall. On the mantle, she saw a photo of the mayor, his family, and an ornate clock as well as the seal of Panem in the center.

In that moment, this locked, dark-red room was the last place she wanted to be in the entire world.

"Phoenix," a small voice whimpered.

Standing in the closed doorway, Pixel looked determinedly at the ground, unsure of what to say. Her hair was set in a French braid on her shoulder, and she wore a purple dress that reached to her knees. Her face was pale.

Phoenix found herself studying the girl intently. Pixel finally looked up to her and murmured a simple, "I'm sorry."

Quickly, Phoenix rose and shook her head. "No, Pix, it's fine. I promise, it's fine. If you had volunteered for me you, you would've died instead. You couldn't have. I understand."

"I'm so worried, Phoenix," the girl sobbed.

Both of the girls crossed to the red velvet couch. Pixel and Phoenix were wrapped in a tight embrace. Pixel began crying into Phoenix's shoulder. The other girl found herself struggling not to cry herself. She knew she couldn't. She would have to wait to cry till later when there would not be any cameras or any family members. Except Ben...

"Pixel, you're going to be alright," Phoenix managed. "You're not the one..."

Pixel let out another sob, "I know! It's ridiculous!" She pushed off of Phoenix and wiped desperately at her eyes. "I'm sorry, Nix, I am, but I can't help it. It's just... It's just that you're... You're going into the arena. I can't believe it."

"Pixel, please don't cry," Phoenix pleaded. Her own eyes had a few tears spilling over. "I can't risk crying for fear of the cameras. Please don't cry."

"At least Ben will be there to protect you," Pixel whispered, wiping away the few still spilling tears.

"Yeah," Phoenix choked out.

Pixel looked at her friend gravely. "Oh, Nix."

Quickly, she hugged her tightly once more and this time Phoenix couldn't help but let out tears of her own as well. "Only one person comes out alive, Pix," Phoenix sobbed, "And it won't be me. Only one person."

"It might be you!" Pixel addressed, stroking her friend's hair. "Ben can protect you till it gets too late."

"Then he would kill me," Phoenix muttered.

"That's stupid; you're his favorite sister," protested Pixel.

"You're right," Phoenix agreed. "He'd never hurt me. We'd have to separate though. If he even wants to team up with me."