Yoru & Hi

"Hey! Hey, hey! Tetsuya! You won't believe what happened to me yesterday! A dude gave me free candy!"

The classmates who heard this collectively choked and gasped in horror. Most had gotten attached to the puppy of the class, just like Tetsuya did when they first met.

"You shouldn't do that Jun. They could have kidnapped you or messed with the candy."

There it was, the class experienced a mini heart attack. Once again in sync.

They had long gotten used to the idea that where ever the class puppy was the class phantom wouldn't be far behind. Like a shadow.

"Oh, really but it was popping candy! And nothing happened!"
The boy whined purposely lowering himself in order to latch onto Kuroko's arm, leaning his head on his shoulder.

"I'll bring some in tomorrow? Or maybe we can go get some today, after school? Just don't accept candy from a stranger. Stranger danger."

"But, then how am I meant to make friends? Like you?"

Kuroko's look was tender, like a mother looking at her newborn baby. He gently rubbed Soruu's cheek, flicking away a few tears.

Jun was an overly-emotional boy who could flip like switch from sadness to joy or vice versa, though 'energetic' seemed to be a core part all of them.

Kuroko couldn't understand how easily they came together to form such an intimate friendship. Where physical affection seemed to be key in interactions but he enjoyed them nonetheless.
It was nice. Even comforting.

They now sat down, quietly listening to the teachers teachings.
Jun's legs shook under the table, alike to nervous fidgeting. He could never keep them still unless he specifically paid attention to keeping them still.
He'd do it occasionally but he'd miss whatever the teacher was saying.

Jun began to doodle in the margin of his book, bored with the ramblings of the teacher. He looked at Tetsuya through the corner of his eyes.

Sparkles appeared, surrounding the boy in angelic light. A giggle, some might say was that of a gremlin, slipped out his mouth.

黒子テツヤ
Tetsuya Kuroko

Black

Jun's discovery seem to shock him to his very core. 'So cool! He has a colour and it's black. So mysterious! Hehe'
Then he just sat there mind reeling with all possible nicknames.

'kuro-kun is kinda cool but that's it.'

Jun wanted a beautifully well-crafted name for his friend. Best friend, he said. Then he landed on something amazing.
夜.
Night. Pronounced Yoru and it was perfect.
It sounded mysterious and whimsical just like Tetsuya, now dubbed Yoru, Jun's best friend.

Jun's bouncing legs increased in speed, knees occasionally crashing together causing Jun to wince and massage his knees while keeping an eye on the clock.

Once class had ended Jun turned to Tetsuya in excitement. "Can I call you Yoru!?"

...

"What?"

Jun continued to look excited and just passed his book to kuroko.

Kuroko stared at the sheet, seeing how the notes turned into scribbles of random, unintelligible words until he saw his name.
He saw how the scribbles suddenly turned into annotations of his name.

The notes were of good quality like the notes made by a model student. A student like a motivated Jun.

Kuroko reached the end of the note journey and was thoroughly amused. It was a mystery how Jun's mind functioned but it was good for these nice moments.

"That's nice Jun but I'd rather not be called Yoru."

Jun felt his heart break at the words before confusion took over. "What? Why not? It's pretty and we hang out at night!"

"We also hang out at daytime but I won't be calling you Hi anytime soon."

He put his hand up to push away a pouting Jun who had made an attempt to latch onto him by his shoulders.

"Can I at least call you Yoru in private?" A small mumble made its way through Jun's pouty lips.

Kuroko sighed. "OK. Fine, but only in private."

"Yay! Tetsuya is the best! Also, also call me Hi in private, it'd be super cool. Like Ying and Yang! Hi and Yoru. Ooo wait wait what about Akumu and Yume?"

"No."

The two boys enjoyed the rest of their break talking about random things from their new nicknames to their favourite sport: basketball.