CHAPTER 3: Target located

SCENE: IN THE LECTURE HALL

TIME: APRIL TENTH, 11:05 AM

SETTING: THE PROFESSOR STARTS A SLIDESHOW, EVERYONE IN CLASS HAS THEIR EYES FIXED ON THE SCREEN.

Professor: So today we will start with the different pulse wave forms, types and causes. Starting with anacrotic....

SCENE: IN THE LECTURE HALL

TIME: APRIL TENTH, 1:15 PM

SETTING: THE STUDENTS LEAVE THE HALL AS THE CLASS GETS OVER. TAE-RI PACKS HER BOOKS, AND CHECKS HER PHONE ON THE WAY OUT. BAEK-HYUN, TAE-RI'S CLASSMATE, CALLS HER AND CATCHES UP TO HER.

Baek-hyun: Tae-ri, thanks for letting me borrow your notes on Tuesday. Here.

Baek-hyun hands over Tae-ri's notebook to her.

Tae-ri:( smiles and says) It was no big deal.

Baek-hyun: By the way, since you come early, have you seen the person who keeps iced americano on my table every day? I want to thank that person.

Tae-ri:(awkwardly touches the back of her head and says) I don't know, I will inform you if I see that person.

Baek-hyun takes Tae-ri's hand into a handshake.

Baek-hyun: Thanks again.

Baek-hyun looks confused as Tae-ri freezes on the spot.

Baek-hyun: Umm, are you okay?

Tae-ri: Where are you heading to?

Baek-hyun: Oh, towards the internet café.

Tae-ri: Can I accompany you?

Baek-hyun: Sure. Why not?

Tae-ri: Just the day for another victim, today was eventful as it is. I just hope I can find a repair shop nearby so that the the trip isn't a waste...

SCENE: ROOFTOP OF THE CAFE

TIME: APRIL TENTH, 1:30 PM

God of afterlife is juggling balls of water in his hand. 

Subordinate: So your plan is to wait till the next murder and catch him in the act?

God of afterlife: Seems like it.

Subordinate: I wonder how you were the chosen one. You cannot, by any means, afford to be reckless!

God of afterlife: It's not like I asked for it! All I have done since the moment I existed was to make dad proud of me! How can he do this to me?

Tae-ri walks alongside Baek-hyun on the footpath leading to the café. 

Tae-ri: Time to find an excuse.

Tae-ri: Baek hyun, I am getting a call from Eun-ae, can we wait for a bit?

Baek-hyun:(smiles) Sure.

TIME: 01:36:49 PM

Tae-ri walks to a corner and pulls out her phone, pretending to be on a call.

Tae-ri: (whispers under her breath) Ten..nine..eight..seven..six..five..four..three..two..one..and..

TIME: 01:37:00 PM

A furious God of afterlife, cracks the footpath below him in the heat of the moment. Baek-hyun shrieks as he watches the unscientific incident in horror. Baek-hyun stands frozen with his legs trembling in fear. All he could comprehend then was that he escaped death that was inches away from him. Confusion and shock register on the faces of passersby as they observe the scene unfolding on the street.

Baek-hyun: D-d-did you see that Tae-ri? We could have died here! If Eun-ae hadn't called....what would have happened?

God of afterlife looks below and gazes at Tae-ri saving Baek-hyun's life. Tae-ri looks up and their eyes meet.

Subordinate: Isn't she the same nuisance from this morning?

God of afterlife: I just saw it, the answer I was looking for. She is the key to my mission. I knew that she was different, back then in the café or even now as she looks at me, it was all the same. 

God of afterlife: Ahh..she must have come back to return the phone.

Tae-ri shows some hand signals to them as she looks above.

God of afterlife: wait......half.....circle?

Subordinate: Wait for half an hour longer!

Tae-ri runs after Baek-hyun who's walking in a daze. 

God of afterlife:(chuckles) She sure has a knack for running.

Subordinate: (glares) Do you know what are the consequences of what you just did?! Innocent people could have been hurt, you would have gotten punishment from the heavens! And I would have to endure it too for poor management skills. I can't even scold you in the fear of you doing it again! You good for nothing piece of.....

God of afterlife: You went ahead with it anyways...

Subordinate: What did you say?!

God of afterlife: Nothing in particular.

Subordinate: Don't play dumb with me! I am sure you said something like...

God of afterlife sighs at the constant nagging of the subordinate.

TIME: APRIL TENTH, 2:15 PM

SETTING: TAE-RI ARRIVES AT THE ROOFTOP FO THE CAFE WITH A FIXED PHONE IN HER HAND.  

God of afterlife: Ah..there you are! Where's my phone?

Tae-ri hands over the phone with a slight hint of embarrassment on her face.

God of afterlife: (smirks) Where is the compensation for making me wait?

Tae-ri looks confused for a minute but quickly takes out her purse and hands him the only cash left in it.

Tae-ri: Is this enough?

God of afterlife: Wait! I was just messing with you. You don't have to give me money for it.

Subordinate: Yeah, I don't think he would have done something useful otherwise. Don't waste your resources on him.

Tae-ri: Please take it. I insist. I do not want this to be considered a favor you've done for me.

God of afterlife takes the money after some thought. 

Tae-ri: (bows) Again, sorry for the inconvenience. 

Tae-ri turns to leave.

God of afterlife: Wait! About the incident at the footpath, you were unfazed by it, as if you predicted it would happen...

Tae-ri: (smiles formally) I aim to be a doctor, so naturally, I train to be unfazed by the most unexpected situations. And as for you sir, you watch to many sci-fi dramas.

God of afterlife:(smirks) Maybe you're right. I'll work on that. 

Tae-ri: I shall be leaving then.

God of afterlife: Good luck on your ambition. 

Tae-ri smiles and leaves.

Tae-ri:(sighs) That was close. 

God of afterlife: If I were a being like you, I would have taken your word for it. Now you have become the mystery I want to solve. No matter what you say, your eyes don't lie..