Chapter two: gym class

CHAPTER TWO: GYM CLASS

I went through the day without seeing Daniela; she hasn’t been in any other classes with me yet and there was only one more chance for her to be in another one of my classes and that is now, last period, gym.

I stat to walk towards the gymnasium when I remember that last class that the gym teacher or Coach as I like to call him, because he is the coach of the football team. Anyways, I’m getting side tracked, Coach had said that gym class would be held outside and that the only way that class would be held inside was if it was raining, which it was not so I made my way to the football field, where Coach had said to meet.

***

Gym class started and there was no sight of Daniela, I guess she’s not in this class. Fifteen minutes through gym class a girl appeared on the edge of the field, and not just any girl, it was Daniela.

“Who are you and why are you late?” Coach asks Daniela in a gruff voice, he did not approve of tardiness.

“Hello sir, my name is Daniela, and I’m new to this school, sorry for being late, I had no idea that gym was being held outside today.” She apologized in a voice that sounded so much sweeter than when she had talked to Markus this morning.

 Coach grunted in response, and then told her to put on her gym cloths, when she said that she didn’t have them that seemed to be the last straw.

“You are probably the most unorganised person I have yet to meet” he said, that was of course a lie “I bet you’ve never played a single sport in your life.” Daniela did not take this lightly, for she arranged her body so that she looked stronger, which consisted of moving her shoulders so that they looked bigger. It surprised me that her shoulders could look so big. No shit, I say to myself, she’s a swimmer.

“Well…”she began, all sweetness gone from her voice “I was on a sports team back in Canada and I’m looking for a new one to join here.” she obviously thought she had won this little argument for Coach was momentarily in shock because of the drastic change in her voice, but he soon regained his footing.

“Which sport do you play then?” he spat at her.

“I’m a competitive swimmer.” She stated. Coach let out a chuckle.

“That’s not a real sport, it’s nothing like football or soccer” He said. Our school is known all around for its amazing football and soccer teams. Daniela let out a laugh, wait why would she laugh?

“Okay you say that it’s not a sport, well, let me prove to you that it is. Swimming makes you strong, so… how about you get the strongest person in this class to have an arm wrestling match with me and I’ll win, okay”

Coach nodded in agreement then called me over for the match, which was no surprise; I am captain of the football team, and known for being really strong.

As I walked over to Daniela and Coach, I can’t help but smile; now she has to pay attention to me. As I near Coach calls for one of the other students to go get the small fold up table from the sports gear room.

In a few minutes the student returns with the fold up table, by this time Daniela and I are getting ready for the arm wrestling match. A crowd of students has appeared around us wondering what is going on, but Coach does nothing to get them to go back to their gym class, he’s too focused on Daniela who’s now rolling up the sleeves of her oversized hoodie. Now that I can see her arms, I can see that this will not be as easy as I first thought; she looks strong.

Once the table is set up Daniela and I take our positions. Coach counts down from 3 then blows his whistle to say that we may begin.

Man she is strong! We have been going at it for a whole minute, and I can’t help but be happy; I’m holding her hand! Wait how in the name of hell did that thought get into my head?

In my moment of confusion she begins to push my arm down, I try to regain my position once more but I can’t, I hear a dull thump as my arm hits the cold metal of the fold up table. How did she get so strong?!

I look at her only to see her smiling at me, a cute smile at that, she let go of my hand only to make me feel sad. Wait, what? I sound like a little girl whose crush let go of their hand, I must be going crazy!

I see her stand up and walk over to Coach, then says,

“Can we start class now?”