The Magic of Christmas |a.m.r|

I lost my love of Christmas a while ago; I often joke that I'm actually the grinch reincarnated

I lost my love of Christmas a while ago; I often joke that I'm actually the grinch reincarnated. It's not that I 'hate' the holiday, it just doesn't hold very fond memories for me past short-lived childhood experiences. However, like many things, that seems to be changing with Ally. Ever since I met her, she's brought a much needed magic to my life.

Not to mention Oz, who welcomed me with surprisingly open arms the minute I stepped through the door. Then again, that's something I've always loved about children. They aren't as judgmental as adults, they're much more open and free. That being said, since it's our first Christmas as a little family, I want to make it extra special.

For the first time in a long time, I'm not just putting on a show for those around me. I'm genuinely excited for the season and it almost brings tears to my eyes. I can vividly remember the joy of opening presents, baking cookies for Santa and leaving them out with milk, movies and hot chocolate whilst cuddled under layers of blankets.

Ally has been cautious, knowing my relationship with this time of year isn't the best. I plan to show her just how much she's healed me and brought out that little girl with overflowing anticipation of the days to come. The door opens and I brush off my hands on the apron, tossing it to the side and turning down the music slightly.

With a pep in my step, I make my way to the door to see a surprised Ally and Oz in the doorway. "Welcome home!" I exclaim, pressing a chaste kiss to the brunette's lips and ruffling the little boy's hair. "Well hi... Ozzy, why don't you go put your bag away in your room, hm?" Ally suggests with a smile and the little blonde boy nods before hurrying up the stairs.

She wraps her arms around my waist with a look of adoration on her face that instantly makes me melt. "And what's all this?" She asks, glancing around at the dim lights and I take a deep breath. My eyes fall closed as the aroma of pine and cinnamon drift through my nose. "I thought I could do something nice for you guys. After all... I have to find some way to show my gratitude to the two—or one and a half—amazing people that revived my Christmas spirit" I mumble happily.

"Awww, baby" she pouts cutely and I place a kiss on her nose. "So... I was thinking we could set up the tree and I've got cookies going in the kitchen for later" I propose and she nods enthusiastically. Oz soon comes bolting down the stairs and Ally shows a look of disapproval but doesn't comment on it. "What do you say we finish up the cookies while your mom starts on the tree?" I suggest and he grins widely, already being halfway to the kitchen before answering.

We head off in our separate directions for the time being and start on our little projects. I show Oz how to roll the dough and cut out the cookies with the many shapes I bought and he soon gets the hang of it. After a little flour war, ending in traces of it on both our faces, we clean up before placing the tray in the oven.

The little boy squeals in delight as I close the door, his excitement palpable in the air. I catch a glimpse of brown hair in my peripheral and turn to see Ally. She leans against the frame, arms crossed in front of her, with a content smile on her face. "Mommy! We saved some to bake cookies for Santa!" she tells her animatedly as he runs over which makes her chuckle.

"That's wonderful, sweetheart. The tree is all ready for you" she tells him which seems to set off his next wave of adrenaline. Before he dashes off, he runs up to me and tightly hugs my legs and I rub his back. "Thank you" he says while looking up at me with those big brown eyes that I see a piece of Ally in every time they fall on me.

"Don't mention it, little buddy. Now go, go! There's a tree waiting to be Oz-ified" I chuckle and he doesn't waste another second before disappearing into the living room. Ally has made her way over in all the commotion and she pulls me into her arms, pressing a soft kiss on the top of my head. We sway gently to the sound of 'Let it Snow' in the background with grins on our faces.

Our little moment is cut short by Ozzy calling us to join him and we do so happily. It takes us about an hour as he wanted to make it perfect, but the music certainly kept us entertained in the meantime. I carefully lift him up to put the star on top as the finishing touch and his eyes remain on it long after his feet have met the ground.

I return to the kitchen, taking out the cookies and letting them cool as Ally breaks the news to Oz that he'll have to sleep soon. He protested for a while but after I promise to tuck him in, he agrees and hurries to take a shower. We tidied up the living room and by the time we'd finished, he was calling us up.

Ally and I sat on his bed, me near his head per his request and the brunette near his feet. I pushed some hair out his face and smiled down at him before placing a kiss on his forehead. "Goodnight" I whisper as I turn out the light and he echos it as we make our way to the door, "and... mama?" he voices timidly causing me to stop in my tracks.

He's never called me that before and he only refers to Ally as 'mom' or 'mommy' when he's really excited, so I know he's addressing me. "Y-yeah?" I stutter slightly, turning to see him with what little light leaks in from the hallway. "This is the best Christmas ever" he states and even though I can't really see it, I can hear the smile on his face.

"I agree" I reply before repeating our 'goodnights' and closing the door. Ally raises her eyebrows high as I turn to her and I giggle as we make our way to the bedroom. We take a shower and slip in bed, my head resting on her chest as I hum to a song that's been stuck in my head.

It barely took a breath to realize
We're gonna be a classic for all time
I wanna thank ya baby
You make it feel like Christmas

"Today was... amazing—that doesn't even do it justice" she sighs happily and I tilt my head to look at her, a goofy smile gracing my features. A similar one appears on her face as she leans down to place a kiss on my lips. As I stare into her eyes, they twinkle even brighter than all the strings of lights on the tree or stars in the sky.

Thought I was done for
Thought that love had died
But you came along
I swear you saved my life
And I wanna thank ya baby
You make it feel like Christmas

"Thank you for reminding me what Christmas is all about" I whisper, "Jesus?" She teases and I chuckle as I shake my head. "Love" I state, a little yawn escaping me directly after. She pouts adoringly and caresses my cheek as my eyes flutter closed. "I love you, Ally" I sigh, feeling completely at ease, "I love you more, baby" she whispers.